8 wk old light brahmas...how to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcnicolclan, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My light brahmas are just turning 8 wks old. They all look the same to me but I do have one that seems smaller than the others. What should I be looking at to try to determine their sex?

2. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    Good question...I'm curious myself!

Hope someone can post a pic to show the differences. I have dark Brahma girls, but no male to compare...sorry!

3. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    I had a pair of light brahmas this spring. At that age, the comb & wattles on the girl were pretty much non-existent, whereas the boy's comb was pink and much bigger, and he had adorable little pink wattles. Hope that helps - I can scrounge up some pictures when I get home too, but if you have any boys, it will be obvious the difference between them.

4. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, I'll go take a close look at everyone and see if I can tell a difference. I also have a bared rock (McMurray free mystery chick) and he has a much bigger comb and wattle than any of the brahmas.

5. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Can you post pictures?

6. nfwc1964

nfwc1964 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Danville, NH
    Can anyone tell me the difference between 8wk Light Brahma pullets vs cockerels?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are our two. Thanks, Nancy & Doug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by