1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 wk old pullet injured by fox - Survived and walking - 9 days!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alibabba, Jun 3, 2015.

1. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    If anyone feels like sharing, advice welcome.

Layed out by fox. I was clearing the scene when she opened her eye.

Its been over 24 hours, I expected her to die from internal injuries. But she's still alive. Nothing external, no blood and no blood in stool.

She isn't eating or drinking, will take water I put to her beak.

She is sitting up and can hold her head up and eyes look alert.

I'm getting ready to really try to figure out what's broken or dislocated.

Or should I hydrate, tube feed in a while if she's still not eating and give another day?

Right wing is not right, not sure if it's dislocated(?) or detached...it doesn't completely dangle.
    Left leg, not right. She has strength to push with it, I don't feel or see an obvious break, but falls over when I hold her standing. (and peeps like pain) dislocated(?)

Not sure if I will take her to the vet. See if she actually can and wants to live.

ETA Hold it, I just checked on her, I think there MIGHT be peck marks in the mash. And she gave one little cluck!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    With animal bites there is a strong possibility of infection. If the bird does not show quick improvement decide whether or not to go to a vet. This type of infection need antibiotics that are not usually readily available. If the leg and wing are not broken or mangled badly they will heal quickly.

3. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Thanks so much, good to know that there is potential for quick healing! There is no blood or wound anywhere, that I saw initially. Maybe blunt force or got run over.

When it's quiet tonight, I'll put her through a thorough exam, in case I need to make chicken splints. I saw a good post on BYC on how to do that.

She gobbled a worm I brought in and some meal worms and nibbled some of her mash. So that's a good sign I hope.

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Eating is a very good sign. As long as she is eating well, a good recovery should be possible.

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Sometimes after an attack, they are just shocked and stunned for awhile. Hopefully, she'll recover fully. But don't be surprised if she is traumatized for quite awhile.
    Are you able to protect your chickens from another fox attack? The fox knows where they are now.
    Good luck!

6. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Yes all is secure, [​IMG] I posted about it here because I am just sick over it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987983/a-fox-a-fool-for-shame

I have electric on other pens....

It was on my list of things to do. Stupid stupid stupid! Hard to learn the hard way.

In the pouring rain, same day. I electrified the empty pen, and left some feathers behind...so when they come back, they will get zapped. Didn't hear squeals last night. Maybe tonight...

7. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I made her a hanging sling in a tote. Started oxytet just because you mentioned infection! Thank you!

Giving her turmeric and baby aspirin in her food to help with pain and inflam and infection.

I think there is a wound on thigh and underside of a wing. Nothing ripped or gaping or bleeding. I clean these areas with peroxide, its all I had on hand.

She is eating well, keeping her food wet because I can't catch her getting a drink. Pooping lots. really stinky! PU! Is that the antibiotic?

Foot was weaker yesterday, kinda curled and toes kinda wonky. Today looks much more normal and she is able to put some pressure on it :)

Wings...I don't know, one doesn't feel to be attached right, but in the sling they are tucked next to her in the right places so, wait and see....

She is peeping and clucking to me and is very alert. She does take frequent little "naps".

Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Sounds promising. Antibiotics could cause the smell. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    I was getting pretty concerned, the sling went by the wayside a couple of days ago. She knocking over her water and food with her good leg and flipped herself out once.

I let her lay on the dog comforter. With Paper Towel under her bottom, blanket still got a little messed.

I was starting to wonder what to do if she was not going to ever be able to walk??? Or How long until I could determine that she wouldn't improve...

Yesterday, She started scooting herself around and this morning squatting on two legs.

Tonight she stood up multiple times, and toddled around!!!

Then she hopped out of the little box that I put her in while we were out for the night. 3 times!

I covered the box.

Wow!!!! That was fast!!! Like 8, 9 days! From near death, shock...to getting up and carefully toddling around.

So thankful!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Out in the pen today with her 9 week old buddies.

She rests here and there, and loses balance a bit. But she is walking and scratching a little.

I credit the antibiotics right away most.

****Nchls school - That was some quality advice!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by