8-wk Speckled Sussex chicks -- hen or roo?

shonklynn

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
Hi all! So sorry to post yet another sexing thread on SS chicks, but I've read them all and my two chicks are driving me batty! I got two SS from a local hatchery, and they're now 8 weeks old. They're both the absolute sweetest and most tolerant of all my flock; we can't have roos in our suburb, so I'm praying they're both pullets.

A couple observations:
  • Chick #1 has been quite a bit bigger for several weeks now. It also feathered much more quickly than #2 (at what I would call a "normal" rate compared to the rest of my flock).
  • Chick #2 took 5-EVER to feather, especially its tail feathers. For the longest time I was convinced their sexes were different just because of their drastically different rates of development. Now that #2 has finally gotten in those tail feathers (only about a week and a half ago), they look much more similar so I'm unsure. #2's tail is still much shorter than #1's, but again, it only just started growing in recently and I expect it's not full length yet.

Chick #1:

Perpetua1.jpg
Perpetua2.jpg
Perpetua3.jpg
Perpetua4.jpg
Perpetua5.jpg

Chick #2:
Felicity1.jpg
Felicity2.jpg
Felicity3.jpg
Felicity4.jpg
Felicity5.jpg

#2 (left) & #1 (right) together. This one is a few days older than the rest of the pics:
F&P.jpg

Any expertise anyone has that can help me finally figure out what I've got on my hands is appreciated! :)

Hi all! So sorry to post yet another sexing thread on SS chicks, but I've read them all and my two chicks are driving me batty! I got two SS from a local hatchery, and they're now 8 weeks old. They're both the absolute sweetest and most tolerant of all my flock; we can't have roos in our suburb, so I'm praying they're both pullets.

A couple observations:
  • Chick #1 has been quite a bit bigger for several weeks now. It also feathered much more quickly than #2 (at what I would call a "normal" rate compared to the rest of my flock).
  • Chick #2 took 5-EVER to feather, especially its tail feathers. For the longest time I was convinced their sexes were different just because of their drastically different rates of development. Now that #2 has finally gotten in those tail feathers (only about a week and a half ago), they look much more similar so I'm unsure. #2's tail is still much shorter than #1's, but again, it only just started growing in recently and I expect it's not full length yet.

Chick #1:

View attachment 2770749View attachment 2770750View attachment 2770751View attachment 2770752View attachment 2770753

Chick #2:
View attachment 2770754View attachment 2770755View attachment 2770759View attachment 2770760View attachment 2770762

#2 (left) & #1 (right) together. This one is a few days older than the rest of the pics:
View attachment 2770776

Any expertise anyone has that can help me finally figure out what I've got on my hands is appreciated! :)
They're pullets.

Both pullets.
Rate of feathering and tail length does not indicate gender with this breed.
AT this age, the size and color of the comb does indicate gender, and both combs are still relatively small and pinkish; not red.

Ahh, you guys are amazing! Thanks so much for such a quick reply to set my heart at ease. I got two of them to up my chances of getting at least one pullet, but I've grown so attached to these two sweethearts and would hate to have to let one go (I'm already mourning the impending loss of my salmon faverolle guy 😭). I appreciate your reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom