8 x 12 coop for 8 buffs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jma6004, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jma6004

jma6004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Carencro, LA
    This is my coop for my 8 buff orpingtons. It's about 2 years old now. Works really well except I built the nest boxes too high. It's 8x12 and 8 ft tall. Coop stands about 2 ft off ground to allow some more run space. Inside has three rods for roosting. It needs a few repairs but works for what I need. What do you guys think?

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. jma6004

Jan 30, 2013
    Carencro, LA
    The crummy thing on the front is a last minute brooding/sick area for chickens. Thought I had a broody but no luck.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Looks GREAT! Good Job. [​IMG]

I'm putting together something similar (but not nearly so nice) to use as a brooder/quarantine pen. It's an old crate turned on it's side and mounted on legs. Now I've got to add a small run area and figure out how to add wheels.

4. jma6004

Jan 30, 2013
    Carencro, LA
    Wheels are the other thing I wish I had done from the beggining. I lived in an area that stayed very wet so I placed the coop on cinder blocks. I recently moved to a larger piece of property and moving this thing was difficult. I ended up cutting the run in half to move it and spliced it when I got to the new place. I would suggest wheels to ANYONE who can possibly put them.

5. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I think it'll work. [​IMG] Looks really nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by