8 year old chook with black swellings on legs and twisted claws

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twopaw, Nov 12, 2011.

1. twopaw

twopaw Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    I have been treating her with herbal - dried horsetail, for claw strengthening and mites. Plus chamomile and mint and other dried herbs in a daily footbath. I tried to ease the pressure on her feet by holding her up to float her feet.

Adding a discussed maceration of mortar and pestle crushed cloves, comfrey, tea tree and eucalyptus in carrier oil. To reduce water usage and to coat the legs with oil.

She noticeably improved after being out and free. We are going to let them out of the yard more often to scratch about the small WWOOFING property, in Far North Queensland, Australia.

Any help or suggestions?

Blessings
    Samantha

2. Turken Lover9847

Turken Lover9847 Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all [​IMG] . Do you have any pics ?

3. twopaw

Nov 12, 2011
    we will try to get them now - the photos..reporting back asap

See photos..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Hey Twopaw/Samanth,
    I would at least cut her nails so she can walk about more easily. I looked online for a long time but couldn't find any other images like your bird's feet. Do the black bumps come off? Do they have pus inside? I read that it's not uncommon for old birds to develop growths, cancers etc. Sorry I can't offer more info. I'm new to chickens...
    I'm in Seattle, but originally from Mackay. A friend here (Nick Siler) spent a year farming avocados at a WWOOFING farm in NQ. Is that where you are?

5. twopaw

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi. I am in Cairns, QLD, Australia. I won't touch the black things, but I have talked to the onsite manager here, and even though I have new clippers I bought from the RSPCA recently, he will not allow it and says the vet can take care of the clipping because of the twisted claws.

Thanks for your help..

[​IMG]

Blessings
    Samantha

6. Frithest

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Samantha, there is a list of questions to answer about any medical issue you're posting about, in a sticky note at the top of the index for this section. More information might help you get a better diagnosis. The photos were great, btw. Gruesome but great.
    Good luck.

7. twopaw

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks Frithest! Sorry I am new!

8. twopaw

Nov 12, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Some type of bantam? About 8 years old. Feels quite bony and very light, I can hold her with one hand.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Staying away from other birds, being underneath and in dark places. Tipping and balancing, standing on one foot sometimes. Although she can run and walk for a short time. Mostly sitting in the dark and away from other chooks, they will peck at her sometimes, the big black dominant has done it when I was refilling water.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I am not certain as I have just moved here and noone is around to answer. But certainly ongoing and she was a rescued bird from a cage situation.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No. Although a larger one died mysteriously and we ate her last night. She was healthy.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

She was attacked and has feathers growing back in the attack spot just behind her head.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I do not know, but the problem is the feet.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

The same as all the other birds, corn and grain mix with grey chicken food, chilli, garlic and water. Plus vegetables, insects, grubs, fruits, banana leaves, other suitable food matter.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I have not noticed her poop yet. We are yet to receive unmoldy hay to change the last lot, and I have not observed her in the confines for long enough to notice.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Cool water footbath with Horsetail dried herb plus Tinderbox herbal tea for digestive upsets - soothing and cooling herbs such as chamomile, peppermint, lemonbalm, alfalfa, meadowsweet, marshmellow, fennel, liquorice, ginger - although some are also warming. Plus aromatherapy foot bath a few times a couple of days in a row about two weeks ago, with clove oil, sweet orange, vanilla, basil, frankincense, myrrh. And also freshly gathered mint from garden as food and as bath.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

If we can, I want to know if it is safe to clip the claws and try to convince the onsite manager that my clipping would be beneficial and cost effective. I have trained in Animal Attending and also have a little experience in clipping claws. And I am also a Reiki Master so I send energy and blessings. And also if anyone can help to identify the disease on this site and see if we can help Feet without needing to pay a vet. Although that is the healing action outcome is it is bad or vet treatable only.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Check. [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Hay and wooden henhouse, can be seen in second photo. She sleeps in one of the interior boxes with easy access to ramp and free to walk about.

9. Frithest

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Me too, very new, much to be learned but if you can get answers anywhere, you'll get them here. You got a doozie with those black growths though. They look like truffles to me. You might google fungal infections, carcinoma, etc. Warts? I'm off to bed - hope you get some answers. It's late here in the US so it will probably be 8 hours before you get a lot of looks at your post.

10. twopaw

Nov 12, 2011
    thanks Frithest, have a good sleep!

Blessings
    Samantha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by