8-year-old daughter's birds dying, is this coccidiosis? UPDATE

Quote:
It does sound like coccidiosis. I've always heard that if you are concerned about more than one bird you should take a sampling of many of the birds' manure and mix together for testing.

FWIW, some (many) worms are microscopic, so not seeing worms does not mean they are not present.

Quote:
Birds of any age can get coccidiosis; not just chicks.

I've had it happen to one adult bird, but it just doesn't seem likely to me to have so many adult birds die from it. They've usually built up some immunity to it by the time they mature. The one hen that I had to treat was a rescue that was pretty run down already from poor diet and parasites.

I'm really glad your birds are improving. It's alway tough when you lose them, but so much worse when it's one of the kids' favorites.
hugs.gif

Get some CORID and give that to the flock along with extra protein (hard boiled, mashed eggs, a handful of cat food, yogurt) and some antibiotics. You can also put sugar in their water to help them out.

Make sure their feed area is DRY and clean...keep their waterer on a raised platform (like a milk crate) with gravel underneath, and away from their food source....make sure you're not watering the runs or misting them unnecessarily. Sand also works good too in the runs...

Hope this helps!

~Heather

Sounds like there's a strong possiblity it's cocci. It will kill a bird VERY QUICKLY! I noticed mine was sick in the afternoon (and I checked on them like every 30min), and the next AM she was dead. If I were you, I would definitely start treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic (Amprol is perfect). I might would even put some in a dropper and hand medicate. If the bird feels bad, it shouldn't be too much to hold them and insert medication into beak. Then you will be assured they are getting the medication.

It sounds like this particular mystery may be solved, but just for posterity sake, i would like to point out that antibiotics are not appropriate treatment for coccidiosis, and Amprol is not an antiobiotic; it is a coccidiostat. http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-oral-solution.html

It
is the same ingredient as liquid Corid: 9.6% Amprolium.​

The sick girls continue to improve. Here's a question: at what point should I stop keeping them isolated and reintroduce them to the flock? I'm treating all the rest of the flock with Amprol too just in case, and they've all been exposed to the birds that died and the ones who are recovering. If the recovering hens seem to be pooping, eating, and drinking normally - which I anticipate in the next day or two -- is it okay to put them back with the others?

Last edited:
If they are all being medicated the same way, i see no reason to have them separated. Coccidiosis is not a germ-driven disease. They are all always exposed to the protozoa that cause coccidiosis as long as they are exposed to the ground.

I'm so glad they are out of the woods for everyone's sake but, especially your daughter's. That's awhole lot of misery for an eight year old, she is a very brave little girl.

Quote:
Birds of any age can get coccidiosis; not just chicks.

I've had it happen to one adult bird, but it just doesn't seem likely to me to have so many adult birds die from it. They've usually built up some immunity to it by the time they mature. The one hen that I had to treat was a rescue that was pretty run down already from poor diet and parasites.

It does seem likely that there was some stress that affected the flock as a whole, or a large amount of oocysts that the ill birds came into contact with.

Quote:
It sounds like this particular mystery may be solved, but just for posterity sake, i would like to point out that antibiotics are not appropriate treatment for coccidiosis, and Amprol is not an antiobiotic; it is a coccidiostat. http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-oral-solution.html

It
is the same ingredient as liquid Corid: 9.6% Amprolium.

While you are correct that corid and amprol are not antibiotics, many of the sulfa drugs (such as sulmet), which ARE antibiotics are also coccidiastats.

Back
Top Bottom