8 year old hen with sour crop? I need help treating it.

Pics
Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
So I noticed today that one of my oldest hens has a "bulging" crop and won't eat but drinks a lot of water.

I have read this article a few times already.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I sort of know how to treat sour crop but have never really treated it before
I want some guidance and I would greatly appreciate any help.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Barred rock, 8 or 9 years old, she feels to be an okay weight I would like her to be a little heavier but I think she is gaining some.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Won't eat, drinks lots and is lethargic but is still quit alert.
Her crop feels full of liquid with a little bit of feed or rocks in it.
It looks like she tries to adjust her crop every now and then, that particular behavior is what made me check her over.
Her comb and the rest of her face are not pale they look to be a normal color.

I don't think she is laying, I don't think she will start either.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I noticed it today at about 7:00am this morning, I think I noticed something off with her yesterday but never thought anything of it if I noticed anything at all.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Age, possibly diet, maybe she ate to much long grass, I don't really know what to think caused it.
I mostly think age.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has been eating all flock except today she didn't eat any and I am not sure about yesterday.
I have SOME oyster shell out for them free of choice but my chickens and ducks don't seem to like it or know what it is for (I've never used oyster shells before they were always on layer until a few months ago).
We don't give them grit.
She seems to drink fine, except she drinks a lot.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I haven't seen any of her poops today, or yesterday.
She has poop stuck to her vent area (I have pictures of it)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I put some ACV in their water today, there is plain water for her and all the other birds to drink as well.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I want to treat it myself, I am not aware of any poultry vets near me.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Here is her poopy vent feathers.
20220512_094709.jpg
20220512_094723_HDR.jpg

Hopefully the pic of her poopy butt is good enough.
You can tell her crop is full, in the photo above.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I use wood shavings, I have a bag of soft wood shavings and a bag of large flake that put in the coop when more is needed.

All the chickens and ducks free range all year round and are let out around 8:00am most of the time sometimes later or earlier.

The coop has a number of issues (size and ventilation wise).
I have been trying to solve those issues though.

I have 8 ducks and 9 chickens, two of the ducks are put in a separate area at night, the drakes were fighting a few weeks ago (they stopped now) I still keep the same hen and drake in the pen at night mostly for more room in the coop.

This hen (the barred rock with the sour crop) doesn't have a name I forgot what hers used to be and I cant come up with a name for her.

In march one of my old hens passed away from a reproductive issue, it caused sour crop and on the day that I was planning on euthanizing her, she aspirated some of the liquid from her crop before I could even get ready to euthanize her.
I don't want to go through that again or just lose a chicken in general, but I fear that maybe its time for this hen to go I am hoping I will be able to resolve her issue, she is one of my favorites, and I don't think it is her time quit yet.

Edited to fix grammar.

Thank you for reading this.
I hope everything I wrote will help you help me as best as possible.

Attachments

• 20220512_094703_HDR.jpg
    20220512_094703_HDR.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220512_094726_HDR.jpg
    20220512_094726_HDR.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Her crop is still feeling like a balloon full of water, it feels like there is a tiny little bit less liquid in her crop today but not very much.
She looks very uncomfortable and she adjusts her crop a lot.
She drinks a lot of water, should I make sure she isn't drinking more water now?
I don't know what to do for her, any up is greatly appreciated.

How is she?

I wouldn't withhold water from her, let her drink and eat.

You poor thing! :hugs You have an aging flock and it seems there's always something going on.
The first thing I would do is give her some coconut oil as described in the article. See if that helps clear the crop. Re-check it first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks.

If it isn't clearing overnight and it's been like this for a few days, then you will want to treat for sour crop.
At her age, I suspect that she may also have something else going on that is causing the crop to slow.

How is she?

I wouldn't withhold water from her, let her drink and eat.

You poor thing! :hugs You have an aging flock and it seems there's always something going on.
The first thing I would do is give her some coconut oil as described in the article. See if that helps clear the crop. Re-check it first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks.

If it isn't clearing overnight and it's been like this for a few days, then you will want to treat for sour crop.
At her age, I suspect that she may also have something else going on that is causing the crop to slow.
Thank you so much!
I will get some coconut oil in her today.

Infectious coryza? Her face worries me. That's not normal.
I have been a little concerned about their eyelids looking the way they do but I've never thought to much about it, I feel her eye lids were kind of like this before her sour crop showed up but I don't think they were as bad if they were like this at all.

She pecked at the ground a little today
Whenever she put her head down to peck she would lift it back up quickly here and there
She was able to put her head down to mess with whatever she was pecking at without having issues a few times though.
She is just sitting around right now and has been for the last few hours.

I haven't seen her poop if she has pooped at all today.

I got more pictures of her today.
20220513_103652.jpg

Attachments

• 20220513_103649.jpg
    20220513_103649.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220513_103641.jpg
    20220513_103641.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220513_103701.jpg
    20220513_103701.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 2
Infectious coryza? Her face worries me. That's not normal.
I will post some photos of her face from a few months ago.

This was in Feb.
20220207_131226_HDR.jpg

This was in March.
20220328_134223_HDR.jpg

I am not sure if these photos will be useful in any kind of way but I figured it would help you maybe get a better idea of what you think could be going on with her.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions and advice.

She ate some coconut oil!
How much should I be giving her and how often?
And should I be giving her ACV or anything?
I only did ACV yesterday to hopefully help her stay in good condition.
I will put ACV in the water again if you think its needed.

Back
Top Bottom