8 year old hens laying every day this week!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TennesseeTruly, May 13, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Okay so how old is your oldest hen that's laying??

In November we took in some chickens and a duck from a woman in NC who had lost her home due to foreclosure. She didn't want to put them down and told me that the chickens hadn't laid in at least 4 years. She begged me to take them and give them a good home. Well being a sucker for a sad story, we brought a Silkie hen, a Partridge Cochin hen, and a Silkie mix rooster home with us along with the 8 year old Cayuga duck.

The duck lays every other day pretty reliably. But the hens have never laid and that's okay. I figured they lived their lives and now they can just relax. They're cooped, no other chickens in their coop and run but those three. I didn't want the youngsters to bother them.

Monday there was one egg in their coop.

Tuesday there was two eggs in their coop.

Yesterday hubby went out to the coop and there were two eggs in their food bowl. Hmmmm

I just went out to the barn and there were two more eggs in their food bowl. Hmmmm again.

There's no way for any other chickens to get into their coop and run so it has to be my Silkie hen and my Cochin hen.

Any idea why they would all the sudden start laying again after years of not laying??

Laurie

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe the poor lady just thought they weren't laying......if they got to free range, they could have had a secret hiding place for laying eggs that she ever found......Hey, maybe they're just so darn happy with you, it's a MIRACLE! TA-DA!!!!!!

I like that thought! They're saying THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

[​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    second wind maybe? maybe she told you their age in dog years? maybe...I dunno..you're just blessed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by