8 year old jungle fowl swollen ear lopes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beagle, Nov 17, 2009.

1. beagle

beagle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Hi My 8 year old hen tonight I saw swollen ear lobes and they are hot to the touch. She was on the perch tonight and flew down 1st with the others and hungry for her bread and when I picked her up she was bright and looked OK otherwise. She is with her sisters both 8 and a 6 year old jungle fowl rooster. All get along room for plenty fresh well water.

Any suggestions on that to do?

I've had her since she hatch. her mom was 12 and passed last summer.

In west townsend MAss area.

All suggestion on what if anything to do are welcome.

Caroline

2. tiggger

tiggger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    I am going to bump you to the top so the morning crowd can see this!

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hoping you get some help. Sounds like they are well loved birds.

4. beagle

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Thank you. She is a very loved hen.

well I put anitbiotics in the water. Emptied all feed and bought brand new bag and put that in. She is still bright can fly well still.

Keep an eye on her and hope the antibiotics kick in and her ears go down. They look so painful but dont seem to ouch her if I touch.

Caroline

5. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    I am not an expert on jungle fowl but I own Japanese Bantams and they have very large elaborate combs, wattles, and ear lobes. I have felt them before and in the warmer weather they become hot because more blood is circulating through them I believe. Are you from a warm climate? You may just be over reacting. I have noticed it and didnt do anything about it and my roo is just fine.

6. beagle

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Hi
    I am in Massachsuetts where it's 60 today and going down to 28 once again at night.

She seems find aside from the swollen ears which she didn't have before.

I think jungle fowl are the same as the chickens you have. My rooster looks exactly like the picture you have in your signature icon.

Caroline

7. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Okay well sometimes when they are low on water and thirsty there waddles, lobes, and combs become warm and hot to touch. They should be fine just make sure they have plenty of water.[​IMG]

8. beagle

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Hi

She looks worse tonight. Right side pretty much the same but the left side is now really hugh.

She appears to ok aside from that. Flew up to her roost with the others no issues. Wlaks fine eating. Didnt see her drink but waters there with the anitbiitocs in it.

Will check again in the morning.

Caroline

9. beagle

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Hi
    This afternoon after soaking the lumps with warm water they burst. left side drained well right side not as much. The left side the scab on the top came off and attached was a cone of hard yellow infection. I gently cleaned out the rest of the yellow stuff with a Q tip tipped in HP and water. The hen seemed releived to have the pressure of that stuff gone. Now there is a hole where all this inffection was.

the right ride drained a little but not as much. has her seperate for a few hours and then put her back with the rest. Fed fresh grass fresh foor refreshed antibiotic water and she walked right in an after 2 hours I checked her again and she was roosted comfortabley with the 2 other hens nad rooster.

I'll catch ehr in the morning and warm compress both side and swab with clean Qtip gently with HP and warm water.

Do this daily till it heals.

Any suggestions on what to put over this till it heals? Still 60's in the day and we have flys still so concerns with that.

Caroline

10. beagle

Nov 17, 2009
    West Townsend MASS
    Hi

So once again another scape soaked off with the bright yellow hard obvious infection. I went to the local pharmacy who has pigeons and he said to put on neosporin. Under this comb there is blobs of infection which I gently took out with a QTIP in hydrogen peroxide.

I also called a local small animal vet who does chickens and he said she has a sinus infection and to drain it put on the nespoprin and to call him in 5 days for a stronger antibiodic if it's not improving. Said to keep her on antibiotis for 2 weeks after infection is healed.

I kept her seperate to watch her after cleaning and she popps eats ate some bread and grass and she can still fly very very well.

Ear lobes are still puffy but she is bright and alert. No rejection from the other birs either.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by