80 Degrees....?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itsy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hello! This is my first night with my chicks. There are 7 of them. I have a hotter lamp, but won't be able to get it until tomorrow night. I thought this one would be ok.

The hot side of the enclosure is 80 degrees...sometimes flirting to the upper 70's. The cooler side is apx 10 degrees cooler.

Will they be fine for the night?

Thank you for your help!

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    no. YOU NEED 95-90 THEY WILL NOT BE FINE!!!! GET MORE!!!!!!!

3. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Agree. Need 95 degrees to start. Go out now and get a heat lamp.

4. itsy

itsy Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    We're rushing out to Petsmart now to buy a larger lamp. This one will only hold a 65 watt het bulb. What wattage is recommended? I should've just purchased a lamp for chickens at agway today instead of thinking that I could use my lizard lamp.

5. darkbyrd

darkbyrd In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Pisgah Nat'l Forest, GRD
    depends on your ambient temp. I use a 250w infrared bulb, and I wouldn't have wanted to be any closer with it when I was holding 95 degrees. If you are warmer you could get away with less. My house can be on the drafty and cold side. GET A FIXTURE WITH A CERAMIC BASE FOR THE LAMP and save yourself the heartache of a fire

eta clarity and warning

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. bsee4u

bsee4u In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Be calm, a 60 watt bulb placed about 12 - 15 inches above the floor of the brooder will keep them fine. This is my 2nd batch with that setup, I am batting 100% with them.

7. itsy

itsy Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    The bulb/lamp I have is on a 20 gallon long tank. It's probably 12" from the ground and it's only holding 80. I'll buy a bigger lamp and go from there. I don't want to harm these critters.

8. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chirping

Feb 28, 2011
    My chicks are two weeks old now. When I purchased them I purchased a 250 watt bulb. I slept next to the brooder for a couple of nights...then read about fires. I decided to then only use that when I was home during the day and used a 100W red bulb in the brooder lamp at night and I'm now back in my bed [​IMG] . Less worry. They are in my warm home. Good luck!!

9. newchicks5

newchicks5 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    i'm gone use 29 long tank been testing temp, my 250 wat. would of fryed them,so be careful

10. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I raise my incubator chicks in a 20 gallon long glass aquarium. I use a 60 watt light bulb placed on top of one end of the aquarium on top of the wire grate lid I have. The aquarium is in my house. It is plenty warm for my chicks. I have determined that it is hard to get an accurate temperature reading in these types of brooders because I can never get a reading over 80 even when my chicks are obviously hotter than that. If you are concerned, put a stuffed animal in there that they can huddle underneath for extra warmth. As they get a little older they can jump on top if they feel they need to be closer to the light. Glass tends to retain heat well and being cold is generally not a huge issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: