80 lb dog has bleeding foot pad and wont let me take care of it

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I do not know if she cut it on something outside or if its cracked but shes been gnawing at her back left foot now its bleeding a little. I had to muzzle her just to try to touch her foot and clean it with povidone iodine and put 3x antibiotic ointment , and I coned her now so she cant chew it. Im leash walking her only in my front yard for now. Its becoming increasingly difficult to touch her foot she snarls and runs away . I need something like a cattle chute to keep her still. Im worried it could get/or be infected and I am not going back to the vet who charged me over 500$ for her yearly check up last week, and tried to sell me 2 rx for another 163$ (I got them both online for 1/5 that price) she has giardia so she gets fenbendazole and metronidazole I had safeguard already but the metronidazole is coming in the mail in like a week.. its an antibiotic so I hope it can also help her foot.
ANy suggestions how to "cattle chute" an 80 pound dog?

Last edited:
I do not know if she cut it on something outside or if its cracked but shes been gnawing at her back left foot now its bleeding a little. I had to muzzle her just to try to touch her foot and clean it with povidone iodine and put 3x antibiotic ointment , and I coned her now so she cant chew it. Im leash walking her only in my front yard for now. Its becoming increasingly difficult to touch her foot she snarls and runs away . I need something like a cattle chute to keep her still. Im worried it could get/or be infected and I am not going back to the vet who charged me over 500$ for her yearly check up last week, and tried to sell me 2 rx for another 163$ (I got them both online for 1/5 that price) she has giardia so she gets fenbendazole and metronidazole I had safeguard already but the metronidazole is coming in the mail in like a week.. its an antibiotic so I hope it can also help her foot.
ANy suggestions how to "cattle chute" an 80 pound dog?
It’s unfortunate we go through this with the vet. An 80 pound dog is quite a handful! I’m not a vet and you would need to look into it but I have a small Yorkie that we give a I/2 a tab (25 mg per tablet) of Benadryl to him to calm him a bit for a flight or if he’s highly upset about something. If your dog is not sensitive to anything I would say that might help-check on dosage per pound. Also have you tried maybe putting your solution in like a bucket and get him to put paw in it to at least clean or sterilize whatever is going on with his foot. Also try to get help from another strong person.

It sounds like you need to get a good look at this foot, since we aren't sure if it is indeed a cut, right?

Since she really doesn't want you messing with that foot, I think you will need at least 3 people for this. Two helpers to hold her, and you to look at the foot.

Laying her on her side (lateral) with her feet away from a helper at her (muzzled) head and a helper at her hind legs while you look at her foot is my suggestion.

Once you know what you're dealing with, then you can go from there! :thumbsup

I suggest to get your dog used touching his leg. Give him a treat if he calmly accept. Touch him high up and work your way down. You want him to learn that your touch is positive. Right now your touch means pain to him = negative. It helps if the dog is hungry when you do that (don't starve your dog). High value treats would be great if you use.
I would also apply Vaseline only.

If your dogs paw gets infected, make some chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is disinfecting and safe for animals. Make sure it has the right temperature when you apply it so it because a positive experience. Our vet confirmed it is safe. It also makes the skin calm down which is an added positive effect.

Good luck.

It’s unfortunate we go through this with the vet. An 80 pound dog is quite a handful! I’m not a vet and you would need to look into it but I have a small Yorkie that we give a I/2 a tab (25 mg per tablet) of Benadryl to him to calm him a bit for a flight or if he’s highly upset about something. If your dog is not sensitive to anything I would say that might help-check on dosage per pound. Also have you tried maybe putting your solution in like a bucket and get him to put paw in it to at least clean or sterilize whatever is going on with his foot. Also try to get help from another strong person.

It sounds like you need to get a good look at this foot, since we aren't sure if it is indeed a cut, right?

Since she really doesn't want you messing with that foot, I think you will need at least 3 people for this. Two helpers to hold her, and you to look at the foot.

Laying her on her side (lateral) with her feet away from a helper at her (muzzled) head and a helper at her hind legs while you look at her foot is my suggestion.

Once you know what you're dealing with, then you can go from there! :thumbsup

I second Benadryl to help calm your dog in lieu of something stronger. Next time you see the vet you may ask for a prescription for Trazadone or something like that to use in situations like this.

I suggest to get your dog used touching his leg. Give him a treat if he calmly accept. Touch him high up and work your way down. You want him to learn that your touch is positive. Right now your touch means pain to him = negative. It helps if the dog is hungry when you do that (don't starve your dog). High value treats would be great if you use.
I would also apply Vaseline only.

If your dogs paw gets infected, make some chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is disinfecting and safe for animals. Make sure it has the right temperature when you apply it so it because a positive experience. Our vet confirmed it is safe. It also makes the skin calm down which is an added positive effect.

Good luck.
wow thank you that is a lot of helpful information y'all are the nicest people ! I showed my husband how to hold her (he was just holding her collar before) and was able to treat her foot :) there are 2 cracks it was sad but she getting better

Good to hear that you were able to look at her paw without a lot of stress and fight and that she is getting better.
lol oh there was still stress and fight my husband ended up on the floor but yes after a few days of bandaging and then a few days of continue to apply ointment (sneakily when she was sleeping) she is better now , no more wear the cone of shame :)

Back
Top Bottom