83000 Chickens Die in Fire

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ohiodirtdigger, May 17, 2011.

1. Ohiodirtdigger

Ohiodirtdigger Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Preble County
    There was a fire earlier this morning, in the next county to me, that resulted in the death of 83,000 chickens. Made me sad to think about them while the building was burning. It happened around 4am.

I'm guessing they would be still roosting that early in the morning if they weren't caged. (I don't know how they were kept.) If they could have gotten out, would they have? Or just continued to roost?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Smoke inhalation probably would have resulted in unconciousness. Could you link us to the article?

3. Ohiodirtdigger

May 3, 2011
    Preble County
  4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    When i got home from work this morning around 6:15, I saw that the Osgood FD was out. Osgood EMS wasn't called out, so I knew the fire wasn't in my area but close enough that we could help (mutual aid). All I know is that the alarm dropped at 03:41, and the guys were back at the station a little before 09:00, tired, dirty, and late for work. OFD Chief is my uncle, and one of the firemen is an EMT with my squad. If I can get a firsthand report, I'll update.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They were caged layers. There's no way to fit 83,000 hens in a barn that size without stacking them.

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:I haven't seen pictures yet (news is on right now), but 83K birds would probably be caged 4 high, in staggered rows so they don't poop on each other.

9. Ohiodirtdigger

May 3, 2011
    Preble County
    Said they had double fuses and a circuit breaker on every fan in the building just to prevent something like this happening. Also, the business was recently sold to someone else (not sure what recently means...). I would be devastated if my coop went up in flames.

10. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Ohhhhh poor chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by