1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

.89 a dozen at Save-A-Lot

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fred's Hens, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

89 cents a dozen. In spite of owning 1000s of caged layers and being mechanized to nth degree, I still doubt those big producers can possibly make a profit at that level. With fuel, insurance and grain costs being so high, it seems impossible to me.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is that a standard price or just a lead item price? No way is there any profit on that.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Loss leader, for sure. BUT... given the super low prices I've seen elsewhere lately, it is also signs of a trend. Eggs prices are sinking. Flock recovery after the big worry last summer? Who knows.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This is why the egg industry is so totally vertically integrated and in spite of it many large operations have gone bust. Chronic overproduction is an old, old story in American agriculture.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Are you sure they are not "old" eggs?

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Crack one of those babys open and see how pale yolk is. EEEEEEEW

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

ALDI had theirs for 49c (or was it 59?) a dozen a few months back. That was in the HEAT, when our girls slacked off so I actually thought about it. Until I opened one and found eggs splatted with poo... okay that's a fluke opened another... poo AND feathers. So I passed. I don't scrub my eggs or anything, but if a commercial "looks matter" company can't be bothered, when likely their eggs roll down anyways, it makes me wonder just how nasty the cage is that they managed that much mess. *shudder* Not really any wonder so many people get sick is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by