8d chick We lost buzzy Thank you for your help

Meadow lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
sad.png
:(Hello I am a newbie chicken raiser. We got 4 ameraucana chicks Apr 24. One chick called Buzzy seemed to do a major growth spurt over the weekend and I have notice over the last 3 days it just can't seem to get up on it's legs. It is like they are not strong enough to take his body weight. I try holding the chicks body weight to help it weight bear. It still waddles over to water and food. Is this normal or do I need to do something to help it gain strength, or is it hip problems??? I have now noticed it appear to be struggling to breatb and is lethargic. fluff is flat looking

Your feed back would be so appreciated

Last edited:
I don't know what is wrong with this chick, but I think I would be
inclined to put some vitamins and minerals in the water. I got some at TSC. It comes in a yellow bag and says Electrolyes on it. I put a half of a teaspoon in a gallon of water. You can find it in the area where they sell vet supplies, antibiotics, and such.
hugs.gif

hI thank you for helping me try work this out.
1. I have checked the vent and it is clean. 2. When I first got them I purchaed a vitamin pack to add to their water.

The good news is the chick is till alive this morning. I am going back to the store to get different material for the floor to help it walk and review with them. I may try tape his legs again when I can supervise him.

Man, this is alot more emotional than I expected. Especially when you have a 4 yr old who sings to them daily and tells them a bed time story. Well I guess it helps explain life!??!?!

The other 3 are running around strong on their feet. one of them I need to keep washing the vent area but it is full of energy.

just rechecked the chick. He definitly struggles to stand and can only take a few steps before collapsing. It is drinking but I notice he is not as controled with his neck and almost dunks his head to get water. his breathing is also much more noticible compared to the other chicks.

I also observed a poop it is just liquid.

Any more thoughts????????????????????

It sounds like to me it could be paralysis (I don’t think I’m spelling this right. Sorry). This often happens when the coupe conditions are “unsanitary”. That doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been cleaned at all, just not frequent enough. I would also remove all the chickens clean the coupe extra well with a bleach water mixture. Then rinse with boiling water and let it air dry for a couple of hours. Then lay new lining/bedding down and make sure you sanitize their feeders/waters. The chicken suffering, sorry to say, will most likely be dead before this evening. We had this happen already to a chick and it was sad. Sorry it is happening to you.
sad.png

Because of the struggle to breathe, it could be a respiratory illness. Some people say don't use antibiotics unless you know it's necessary but the choice is ultimately yours. You can get terramycin antibiotic (sp?) at the feed store and you add it to their water. It's not very expensive and is meant for respiratory ailments. Be sure to follow dosing instructions carefully; alternatively, check the sticky at the top of this forum for a dosage chart. Remember those dosages will be for grown chickens so unless someone comes along who knows exactly how much to use for a chick, exercise caution. You can also add vitamins and a pinch of sugar to a separate quantity of water and if necessary feed it very slowly and carefully with an eyedropper. Good luck!

I am sad to report we lost buzzy. I talk to the distributers and they feel he may have been injuried during delivery??????
I also realized I had the heat too high. I came home and feed him some stressed-out fluids and he really perked up and was actually walking around but when I came back he had passed away.
The other chicks were lined up away from him. Ahhhhhhhh I feel horrible. Well will keep a close eye on the others

Back
Top Bottom