8ish wk old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krs Yng Chicks, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Krs Yng Chicks

Krs Yng Chicks Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    I bought 7 chicks from Tractor Supply 8 weeks ago and this one Barred Rock was fine until this morning. When I let the rest of the flock out to free range she didn't come out of the coop, so I went in and picked her up off the roost and carried her out, after a few minutes she wanted to get down so I let her go with the rest of her buddies.

A few hours or so ago I went out to check on things and she was missing, not with her young flock and not with the older flock and rooster. I finally found her about an hour ago, she was trying to catch up with her "sisters", but strangely allowed me to pick her up. She was all fluffed up and seems to me to be making a raspy sound. She is content to just be held and chirp.

I have her in a cat carrier in the house now, saw her drink... she made a very small poo sort of liquid, but no blood that I could see. I have a small amount of scrambled egg in a dish for her, but she doesn't seem interested in it. She is huddled down in the clean bedding and seems content.

Something is wrong and I don't know what to do! Please, any/all advice for my sick sweet girl?

Thank you,

Kris

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How does her crop feel?

It could be Coccidiosis some symptoms include, weakness, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffing up(huddling), and is treated with Corid in the water for 5 days.

A raspy sound could be the beginnings of some type of respiratory illness or if she has a crop problem, possible aspiration of food/liquid.

Keep her warm and make sure she is staying hydrated. If you have a vet that can take a look at her that would be best.

3. Krs Yng Chicks

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    Her crop is soft, she is drinking water. No loss of balance, just lethargic. Her poop is diarrhea and very dark, my husband says it is shiny and very dark brown.

I have her in the house with us, nice and warm, would it be wise to start Corid anyway? Would it hurt?

Now she is quite calm so not rasping as much. Unfortunately here in SW Florida no Vets for chickens. :-(

Kris

4. Krs Yng Chicks

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    All the others have gone into the coop. They all look good and normal. We go out and spend time with them in the evenings, rather than watch the evening news, lol. I am stumped. Little girl is just sitting in the cat box and lets me pet her and everything. I am so confused and other than losing a couple of baby chicks (day olds) this is my first experience.

Dang, worse than kids that can't talk and tell you what's wrong with them. :-(

Please any advice would help.

Kris

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Corid (treatment for Cocci) won't hurt, it is considered a mild safe medication.

Corid dosage 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

I assume you know this but make sure she has some grit available free choice while you have her inside and check her crop to make sure it has emptied overnight. Crop issues can cause lethargy in some circumstances. Drinking water is good.

6. Krs Yng Chicks

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    @wyorp rock

Thanks so much for your advice and help. I couldn't find the Corid at any nearby TS nor at my feed store so was never able to give her that. I did apply some VetRX under her wings and on her head. The smell was really nice, don't know it it helped her!

I let her out to free range under my supervision on Saturday while the sun was strong as she seemed so much better. Same thing on Sunday and she ran over to join her peeps. I let her go back to the coop on Saturday night. As of today, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her!

I keep BOB in their water, I deep cleaned the coop before she went back in.

Thanks again for your help!

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing much better!

If it had been Cocci, then she most likely would have declined further without treatment.

I hear good things about VetRx, but I am wandering if she just needed a little extra TLC and free access to food/water. Observe the flock to make sure she is not being kept from food/water, it's possible that she is being kept from it and was getting dehydrated.

Thank you for the update, I hope she continues to do well[​IMG]

8. Krs Yng Chicks

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    She is still doing great! I am mostly at home so I do spend a good deal of time watching their antics. I hadn't noticed anything in particular except the afternoon it was raining and they were all out in the rain. Thought that was odd and think she might just have gotten a chill before she was able to dry off. She was definitely raspy in the beginning. Sounded like a smoker's cough, lol. Am so glad she has recovered, TLC can do lots in some cases!

First time I used the VetRX, it has a nice Vapo-Rub smell to it.

Again thanks so much for your help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by