8wk old chicks pecking my feet! HELP!?!?

mixedflockmomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
My 2mo old chicks are pecking at my feet. I recently started moving them from the grow-out house(goh) and run into the yard with the rest of the flock. They still have access to the run through a chick door that is too small for my adults. And at the same time I began weaning him off of the start n' grow, as my adult flock are free ranged. I had no issues with this until I began the transition. Unfortunately, I can't just not go in the run, as it is the only way to access the goh where my brooder and chicks are kept. I'm trying to establish myself as the "alpha male", as I did with the rest of my flock. I hope someone can help me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Are the hens? They're probably just pecking your feet because they're curious and hope it's food. :) My youngsters peck my shoes all the time, especially if they are colorful. Now, if the packing also involves flapping or lunging, then you might have the start of aggressive roos. But hens mostly peck out of curiosity.

I have 2 cockrels and the rest are pullets. And they are all pecking, and its several at once. It gets so bad that the tops of my feet are bruised. And I don't ever wear nail polish as I know they will go after my toes if I do.

Lol! I do, Flip flops. I have issues with my feet that prevent me from wearing an inclosed shoe. :)

Well, either you find some closed shoes that you can stand long enough to do the chicken chores, or you get your toes pecked. Pretty simple, heh.

Back
Top Bottom