1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8wk old chicks roo's or pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krissygill, Jun 9, 2011.

1. krissygill

krissygill Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    OK i no i have asked about these guys a couple of times already but they are now 8wks old so im hoping to get a final consensus as to what they are, as i live in the city we are not aloud any roo's so i need to re-home any possible roo's before they start to crow...

Im pretty sure i have 1 pullet and 1 roo Light Sussex - as you will see in the pics they are so different to each other! as for the hyline, araucana and barred rock im not sure yet (other than i was told the hyline was a pullet when 1day old?)

Thanks heaps in advance for any help

Light Sussex 1 (roo?)
    [​IMG]
    Light Sussex 2 (pullet?)
    [​IMG]
    Hyline (pullet?)
    [​IMG]
    Barred Rock head shot
    [​IMG]
    Barred Rock Body
    [​IMG]
    Aruacana Head
    [​IMG]
    Aruacana Body
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The barred rock appears to be a pullet. [​IMG] I am not familiar enough with the others to render a guess.

3. krissygill

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Im new to barred rocks (well chickens in general lol) is there a reason the barred rocks tail is not as big as the other chicks? or is this normal for the breed)

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think they all might be pullets. My Sussex has a pinkish taller comb as well.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I would guess that the first light sussex is a roo, and the second a pullet.

Hyline is a red/gold sexlink. She has no choice but to be a pullet with that coloring [​IMG]

The barred rock looks female to me. Way too dark to be male.

Not sure on the auracana, but I'd put my money on pullet. A male should have more of a comb by now.

Hope that helps! You have pretty birds!

6. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Any roos you have should be starting to crow by now, or at least soon.

Your first light sussex does appear to be male since roos' appearences mature faster. I am not experienced enough with chickens to tell you any more.

7. krissygill

May 14, 2011
    ok thanks everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by