1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8x6 aluminum shed Being turned into a COOP!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, May 25, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    It was free so we took it! Of course we are going to be making some adjustments to it. Adding windows being a priority. Putting the floor in. Along with the roost and some nesting boxes. And then prettying it up some.(ie hiding it behind some lattice and flowers.) But the girls are going to have SPACE! After we finish the coop we will be adding attaching a large run for them, since we cant let them free range here.

It is under the trees, so it gets shade for the majority of the day. But I am still concerned about it getting too hot inside. Granted the girls will be out most of the day in their run. But for safety they have to be in at night and sometimes it stays warm and humid over night. Would a small fan up in the "rafters" be ok? Or will the windows we are adding be enough?

Any suggestions?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I use a fan in my coop when it gets really hot. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation...even for the winter months. Where are you located? That would figure in if it'll get too hot or not. Put hardware cloth over the windows so no critters can get in. Good Luck and keep us updated on how you are converting the shed.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    We are in Massachusetts. Last summer we had a few 100 plus days.
    On those days I give my outdoor rabbits 2 liter soda bottles that are frozen. Is that something I should/could so for the girls as well?

I am thinking the hardware cloth for the windows with plexi glass panels that I can "bolt" on for the winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by