8x7 Chicken Coop -> 8x7 Pigeon Loft= Need help transforming :)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Zahboo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am turning an 8x7 Chicken coop into a pigeon loft. I am going to close in the sides, as right now it is open sided. I need ideas on the nest boxes and feed/water station. Also how many birds can I fit in the coop? It's 7' in the front and 6' tall in the back.

2. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I've raised pigeons for alot of years. What kind are you looking to get? If you want to breed them start out with only a few pair.The nest boxes I have are 1 foot X 1 foot and paired up together so birds have a choice to which box they like better. And I only used long pine needles as nesting material it cuts down on dirtiness. Must keep coop very clean to have good success. Feed/water station can be what ever works as long as it is clean and dry. Any questions pm me. And I can e-mail you pics of nest boxes I used. Mike Good luck

3. Mader631

Mader631 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Built my 8'x4' loft this spring.......... I pretty much took the Pigeon AU's (Starter Loft) blue prints & modified it to my own style of loft................ it turned out great! My Birds love it........... I put in 2 types of perches The V-perch & the 4" spuare perches, that way the birds can chose what they like. I used plastic milk crates turned bottoms to the wall & build a slide out bottom for easy cleanig, They have no problem raising babies in it................. Learned this from an old Pigeon racer from Chicago. I use Apple cider vinegar in the water 1-tine a week, & clean water with bleach. For this winter I'm using a large Ice free Dog bowl, used a Plastic milk crate & flat board screwed to the milk crate, cut a hole in the side of the milk crate just for the Birds can get there head in the bowl & drink, they can't get in to bath or mess up the water............ $20.00 at fleet farm for the Iceless Bowl, The bowl is the large blue plastic one. The water stays pretty warm & only uses 50 watts.

This year i might try racing my Homers................ I got great stock this year from Old racers in my area, Mostly Staff Van Reet Birds, & a few other family mixes......... I'll race them & see if there as good as there family lines are, only way to find if they are good. Got Some great YB/young birds this year & Old (Prisoner) Breeders this year, both are doing good in my open loft set-up. They Love there whole corn this time of year.................

Brian in Schofield, WI.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by