1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

8x8' Coop almost Done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicole A., Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nicole A.

Nicole A. Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Hi,

I've been working on getting my coop setup for a while and I wanted to share a few pictures. Still no chickens, but I was thinking of using the mama heating pad setup so I can raise them in the coop.

A few of these pictures are before I added the pine shavings. I also have a black bin that I plan to use as a dust bath area. I still need to set up nest boxes on the lower shelf, and feeders, but I feel like I'm pretty close to complete.

I still need to predator proof the run area but it's been a little too cold for digging. (Reno, NV)

I don't have any experience with chickens so this setup is purely from research on the this forum and other online suggestions. If anyone has suggestions for anything else I might be missing please feel free!

IMG_0237.JPG BUUDQDVcQcinPcT+b2Em0Q.jpg sQCCEXX5QQaYuo%H2HJb2w.jpg H11626PwSYqDUYxBGTuwkQ.jpg

2. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Free Ranging

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Wow! What a stunning coop! It looks lovely! Those chickens are going to have fun tearing that apart!lol

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Excellent job. How many s.f. of ventilation? How many birds are you planning to have?

4. Nicole A.

Nicole A. Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Yes, I have a feeling it won't stay that clean for long.:)

5. Nicole A.

Nicole A. Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno, NV
    I have 4 2'x2' windows, 1'x1' vent and 14"x7" vent. Plus the chicken door that is 9"x12" open during the day. It also a very dry windy area.

I'm planning on no more than 8-10 birds. The run is 10'x10'. I will probably start with just a few though and go from there.

PennyM, GemmaA, RodNTN and 5 others like this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Excellent. Kudos to you for understanding that good flock management starts with providing adequate housing: space, ventilation and good natural lighting. Best post of the day!!!

7. Eilsel

Eilsel Songster

Dec 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Beautiful coop! You will have some very happy chickens I imagine. I can’t tell from the picture, is the run covered at all?

coopintheburbs and nminusyplusm like this.
  8. Nicole A.

Nicole A. Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno, NV
    It's not covered yet, but I plan to set it up next weekend. The run is actually a "Retriever Dog Kennel" that I'm using as a chicken run. I got the roof that comes with it but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I also have to predator proof the bottom area so I won't have anything digging under the fence.

9. Nicole A.

Nicole A. Chirping

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Thanks for the compliment! I really appreciate it. It means I must be going in the right direction.:)

nminusyplusm likes this.
  10. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    That's an amazing coop, Nicole! I know some people who would consider that an upgrade!

coopintheburbs and nminusyplusm like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: