8x8 coop + runs for 4 flocks, will this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by that_crazy_lady, Nov 13, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    first off I get really mixed up with the whole feet per bird, witch is kinda odd for me. I know it's around 3x3 min for each bird, is that like a 3x3 box on ground space alone?

ok here is what I have. an 8x8 plywood play house, 14x5 run, what will be a laying flock of 5, 2 Delaware pairs, and a banny roo {gona get him some girls}

Is a 4x4 run with 2x4 coop space enough room for 3-4 bantams?
    and how much room would a pair of Delawares need, would something like 2x4 coop space for each pair work? and what would be the min for a run? 4x8 4x12?
    the laying flock would have the 14x5 run, and what coop space is left. if that would not work, I could use another pen for the bantams, it's an old stock rack COVERED with all odds and ends of chicken wire, we kept young birds in it years ago. but I reather keep them close for the winter.

next summer I'll build at least one more coop for my Dels. so far every thing I have used can be taken down a moved, other then the 14yo play house. the 14x5 run is cattle/hog panles lined with smaller wire, the 4x4 run is some homemade dog run doors my dad ended up with. it's all odds and ends of scrap, and it's really is shaby looking, but they are safe and dry.

you take one look at it and say so how do I get to the birds??? [​IMG]

2. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    For a trio or quad of bantams these work great for me. It's foot print is 4 x 4, 5 foot tall in front, 4 foot tall in back, the run under the coop up top is 2 foot tall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To winterize them just use some plywood on the front doors like so...

[​IMG]

3. that_crazy_lady

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    ok, I've seen that typ befor. I like it, but it gets to hot/cold/wet here. I was thinking about them as I fed though, I could make the inside split level if I needed more "floor" space. this is the layout I have planed. tan is door/windoe, the green is where the laying flock runs, purple is nesting boxs. this is just and idea, and not to scale, the bantam area is close though. the building sets right next to the dogs yard, so I can build any runs on that side. that is why the Dels would have on corner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    I'm not sure where Rose is, but these breeder coups work great here in Claremore (by Tulsa). They have plenty of space and it's vented very well. I keep trios and quads of OEGB's in them and have a pair of American Game Bantams in one, AGB's are larger than OEGB's.

Matt

5. that_crazy_lady

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I did not even look to see where you are at [​IMG] , if you take 412 to AR it runs right past us. I would have thought they would get to cold, but now I know what I can build in the spring. thanks

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    MAllen, I love that coop!
    Unfortunately, I don't really have birds that are small enough for that design but I really like the way it is built, the design and the way you winterize it.

Hmmmmm, wonder if i could make that design bigger for my standards?

7. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Quote:The coop partwould be ok for a trio of standards but you would want to extend the run some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by