1. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    This is a photo of my partially completed 8x8 coop in Alaska. It needs to be insulated, including a vapor barrier, and nest boxes need to be made.

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the run, I have 8 Jersey Giant/Ameracauna 1yo layers that I recently bought.

[​IMG]

2. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Nice looking coop from outside, also cool wooded run area...I am definately jealous..as I think Alaska would be wonderful!

Great start, keep working on it!

Dave

3. AlaskGirl

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks, I hope I'm as enthusiastic about the girls when it's -30 and I have to check temps/water!! We'll have a new trail to shovel but I think this is one of the best decisions I ever made! They are so fun!

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:OMG! and I complain at 30 (above)...looks good, keep the pics coming. Do you have to worry about bears the way we do about raccoons and coyotes?

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Oh yeah, I can relate to the path shoveling thing [​IMG] What part of Alaska?

6. AlaskGirl

Apr 19, 2010
    Hi from out west, in Fairbanks!! Funny about the bear comment, I guess there's one harassing campers about 20 miles from where I live. I am fairly close to town so I don't think I'd have any problems like that but we have to watch for hawks and ravens, in addition to foxes. God help me, I haven't had any problems with predators.

7. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    No troubles with anything here yet, but we'll see as time goes on and I have more chickens...lol

Fairbanks isn't WEST!! Nome, McGrath, Bethel... THEY are West!! LOL [​IMG]

8. AlaskGirl

Apr 19, 2010
    I SO had you mixed up with the Gulkana area...so sorry!! I am usually sleeping when we drive past your town!!

9. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    LOL That's ok [​IMG] Stop by next time!

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by