8x8 or 6x6 coop??

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
Live in South Louisiana.
Very hot and humid.
Plan to get 8 hens.
Building a coop under oaks trees (shady).
Run will prob be 10x20.

Initially thinking of building a coop 8x8 for the extra room to move around in and then if chickens don’t work out for some reason, it can easily be converted into a shed.

Question is:
Is there any reason why a 8x8 would be too big for 8 hens and need to shorten down to 6x6 or the more space-the merrier the hens?

Thanks.

Live in South Louisiana.
Very hot and humid.
Plan to get 8 hens.
Building a coop under oaks trees (shady).
Run will prob be 10x20.

Initially thinking of building a coop 8x8 for the extra room to move around in and then if chickens don’t work out for some reason, it can easily be converted into a shed.

Question is:
Is there any reason why a 8x8 would be too big for 8 hens and need to shorten down to 6x6 or the more space-the merrier the hens?

Thanks.
No such thing as too big! They will LOVE the extra room and it will be useful if you ever decide to get more! Go bigger!

Question is:
If you follow the link in my signature below about room you might see why the more space (within reason) the merrier the human, let alone the merrier the hens. I find the tighter I pack them the more behavioral problems I have to deal with, the harder I have to work, and the less flexibility I have to deal with problems. Those are about making your life easier. An 8x8 and a 10x20 should be plenty big enough but I don't consider them unreasonably large at all. Actually a nice size.

Back
Top Bottom