9-10 week old EE...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ferrret, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    We have suspicions that our EE we've been calling Digger is a roo, but I want to be a little more sure. No crowing, although Digger was quite aggressive until a couple days ago when we rehomed our Brahma roo. Now Digger is a bit more relaxed, 9-10 weeks old and BF really doesn't want to have to rehome it because it's the only chicken we have that looks like a chicken. (The other three are silkies and he thinks they are silly.[​IMG])
    So... Roo or not a Roo? Or is it still too early?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The comb is pretty red for a pullet but it's really hard to confirm with the feathers on a white bird. Lift the feathers at the back of the neck and look at the end of them, rounded=girl, pointed=boy. However, it may not be old enough for those to come in yet.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not old enough for saddle feathers yet.

And I say you have a boy. That comb is awfully red for that age, and the 3 rows on the pea comb are very obvious.

4. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    hen EEs won't have 3 rows? I have 3 americanas that i'm hoping are hens but.........

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Could be have some pictures of it's tail and comb please and another close up picture of the chicken's whole body?

6. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

At what age do the saddle feathers get pointy? I have a white EE very similar to the OP's that is 9 weeks old. No pointy saddle feathers but the comb is wider and pinker than the others that are obvious pullets. Feathers are solid white and very smooth. All feathers are fat and round. No sign that any are pointy at all. So, I'm interested in finding out what the OP has. [​IMG] I'm sure we'll both know in a few months anyway.

7. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    99% sure it is a roo.

Yes, hens will have pea combs also but the middle row of peas is the most pronounced...where as with a roo, all three rows of peas are very prounounced.

My ee Roos at this age had the bright red combs but my pullets did not. they were still pale.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    That's a rooster no doubt about it...new2chooks is correct about the comb.In roos all 3 rows pop young making the comb have a much wider appearance than a pullet then add the bright red color that pullets don't have at that young of an age ..pullets the outside rows won't pop until close to pol.
    Our EE and Ameraucana's(we have both) are very quiet boys so I wouldn't re-home him unless you have to.

9. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Here are a few more pictures, a bit larger size.
    Our concerns are crowing and general noisiness as we are in a subdivision with fairly close neighbors and we don't want any noise complaints. If we rehome the EE it'll go to the same guy that has the Brahma, a friend of BF's that has a small farm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

My white 12 wk old EE pullet looks a lot like your chicken but her comb is not that red. My other pullet will have a red comb at times, as red as yours, and then at other times its pale. I just can't tell about yours but I'll bet in a couple of weeks it will be clearer.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by