1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9-12 Week Old Chickens/Chicks - Slug eating? Grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sebloc, Jul 10, 2016.

1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hello

Not that this is of much importance, but here I go.
    We have a big garden, and there's tons of slugs. If you didn't know, slugs devour gardens. We wondered if our chickens/chicks (it's awkward calling them chicks but awkward calling them chickens) could eat slugs.

Second question, we recently switched over to the next stage of food. The new food, (from starter to the next stage) is bigger then their old food. Do they need grit and if not when should grit be introduced? I have had people tell all different things. They are still in the brooder as the coop needs another couple days to be finished. They are going to be in a run.

Thanks for any info you can provide :D

-sebloc

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, chickens eat slugs. They love them, actually.
    As for grit, YES, offer it free choice.

3. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Is the grit mandatory? Confused by your answer sorry [​IMG]
    Thanks

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry to confuse you.
    Yes, grit is mandatory. They need it to help grind up their slugs and other bugs, etc...

5. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Thank you

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    To be clear grit is stone. Nothing more. I'd hazard a guess there is plenty of small stone in your garden they are picking up for free. Mandatory for birds to aid them in grinding down food does not imply it must be deliberately supplied to them. They are perfectly capable of picking up grit all on their own.

Where grit needs to be kept in mind is if your birds are in a desert where there is only sand, kept on concrete or in a coop without access to outside or it's the middle of frozen winter. For those of us that let birds outside and have typical soil type you never need to think about grit. For those of us in the frozen North where a layer of ice and snow is blocking access to the ground for months on end some thought pre winter should be put to prepare. For me it's to shovel some of the smaller gravel from the driveway in fall. If we don't get a January thaw that year toss a few handfuls on the ground every few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by