9 babies... 7 breeds... 1 of 2 genders lol *Lots of PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tulula81, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Tulula81

Tulula81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2016
    Northwest GA
    Hi! We are still building our coop but have 9 babies of various ages in the brooders right now. Of the 9, I'm confident that 4 are girls and 1 I'm not sure if it's really the breed it was sold to me as. Let the guessing begin!

#1 Buff Orpington dob 12/13/15 Gertie
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Buff Orpington dob 12/13/15 Ginger
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 FBCM dob 12/26/15 Oreo. Not sure if purebred. Comb looks like it's developing into a pea comb? Also, not sure on the age. Only the wing feathers have grown in but s(he) has some monster t-rex legs lol
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 and #5 specked sussex Dot dob 12/28/15 and blue isbar dob 12/27/15 Smokey
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #6 and # 7 crested cream legbar dob 1/16/16 and marsh daisy dob 1/6/16
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 and #9 silkies dob 12/15/15 Bert and Ernie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My guess was that #1,#4 and #5 and #6 are girls. #6 for sure because it was an autosexing breed :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The breeds all look correct as you've labeled them. They are a little on the young side for sexing accurately although I'm thinking cockerel on Buff Orpington #2. I would suggest re-posting their pics again in about a month. By then their genders (with the possible exception of the Silkies as young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex) should be pretty obvious.

3. Tulula81

Jan 25, 2016
    Northwest GA
    Does the FBCM look correct to you? I wondered about that comb, but I also read that there is not a true standard in the US. Based on it's siblings, this one had the smallest comb and was the smallest.I took a guess that it was a girl and grabbed her/him lol

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're right. The coloring and feathered legs look correct but on closer inspection the comb is definitely not a single comb which should be the case if it was pure BCM.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 on Michael O'Shay's comments.

I would need to see the back of your CCL to confirm whether male or female...but if there is a white dot on the head, then it is male. Female should be a chimpmunk stripe from head to tail with no white head dot.

And no, that is not a correct FBCM. You can see proper FBCM in my photos below in signature line (far right). There should be a clear single comb, never a pea comb, and feathers down the leg and down the outside toe....your photo blurs out too much for me to really get a good look at that comb...it might be modified walnut as that is a very large comb for pea..almost looks modified rose comb with a knob on top??? Oh well, can't tell with the blur...and the legs don't look feathered in the photos (again very blurry)...that is not a FCBM...may be mixed or something else altogether (although can't tell you what right now without better photos).

LofMc

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Way to young to even guess on silkies but, the white one looks to have a LARGE comb for such a young age.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    #3 looks like a mixed breed. It has what looks to me like a rose comb (wedge shape), and it's huge for such a young chick. Probably a cockerel.
    Those silkies have a lot of comb development on them, they are probably cockerels as well.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

9. Tulula81

Jan 25, 2016
    Northwest GA
    [​IMG]

It has feathers on the outside of its legs/feet. Regardless we will keep him/her. It's siblings had much larger combs than this one so I'd hate to see what they look like now lol.

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Even with those feathers, that still is not enough feathering for a FBCM...you would have a "cowboy fringe" from the hock all the way down to the outside toe....and that comb...wow, I don't think I've ever seen one so big on such a young chick...and not sure what it is...it is not your typical pea comb nor rose comb nor walnut...which indicates a mixed breed with some distinctively different genetics vying....or a rarer breed that I'm simply not thinking of at the moment. My vote is definite mixed breed.

I hope you post pics later as I would love to see what this grows up to look like....and yeah, it probably is a male.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by