9 chickens have been vaccinated for mareks, and two new chicks that I bought from a local feed store

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Well the title mostly says it all. I've started a few threads already about the same topic, but I still haven't found the answer I've been looking for. Maybe I'm missing something here? I don't know. Anyway, I ordered 10 baby chicks about two months ago from mypetchicken and I had them vaccinated for mareks and two more just a month ago from a local feed store that aren't vaccinated. The two baby chickens aren't as big as I want them to be yet to let them out with the older chickens but once they are..they'll be out with the rest :) now back to the question haha is it safe to be mixing chickens that have and have not been vaccinated? Sorry for the post.

The Marek’s vaccine does not prevent Marek’s. It prevents the lesions that cause the damage. It’s possible that a chicken that has been vaccinated for Marek’s has the disease and can pass it on to other chickens. It’s possible that chickens that have not been vaccinated will never have a problem with Marek’s. Chickens hatched and raised by broody hens are practically never vaccinated for Marek’s. Since a vaccinated chick needs to be isolated from the adults for a few days for the vaccine to take effect, it’s just not practical.

The Marek’s vaccine is not made from Chicken Marek’s. It’s made from Turkey Marek’s virus. Unfortunately they cannot pass that Turkey Marek’s on to flock mates. This means your chicks that were vaccinated will not and cannot pass on Turkey Marek’s from the vaccination. The vaccination has no effect on whether or not they can pass on Chicken Marek’s. It just stops the damage if they happen to be infected.

Just because you had some vaccinated does not mean they are going to pass on Marek’s to the unvaccinated ones. That vaccine does not make a bit of difference to the unvaccinated ones.

The Marek’s vaccine does not prevent Marek’s. It prevents the lesions that cause the damage. It’s possible that a chicken that has been vaccinated for Marek’s has the disease and can pass it on to other chickens. It’s possible that chickens that have not been vaccinated will never have a problem with Marek’s. Chickens hatched and raised by broody hens are practically never vaccinated for Marek’s. Since a vaccinated chick needs to be isolated from the adults for a few days for the vaccine to take effect, it’s just not practical.

The Marek’s vaccine is not made from Chicken Marek’s. It’s made from Turkey Marek’s virus. Unfortunately they cannot pass that Turkey Marek’s on to flock mates. This means your chicks that were vaccinated will not and cannot pass on Turkey Marek’s from the vaccination. The vaccination has no effect on whether or not they can pass on Chicken Marek’s. It just stops the damage if they happen to be infected.

Just because you had some vaccinated does not mean they are going to pass on Marek’s to the unvaccinated ones. That vaccine does not make a bit of difference to the unvaccinated ones.

That was very helpful =) thanks

Back
Top Bottom