9-Day Candling Report:Welsummers, RIR, Buff Orp, etc.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This is the report on the eggs in the HovaBator plus one Welsummer in the Fridge-a-Bator. I just candled all 16 Welsummer eggs that Christie (mothergoose) sent me. I'm happy to report only one clear and 15 with movement! Excellent for shipped eggs, huh?
Of the 12 RIR, 8 Buff Orps and 1 Splash Orp from Julie (BamaChicken), I removed 1 RIR with an obvious blood ring. So, 11 RIRs are still in the running at this time. Of the Buff Orpingtons from Julie, I removed 1 with an obvious blood ring, one is porous, seems to have seeped some albumen which dried crusty on the small end and I cant see into the egg, but I suspect it will be pulled; another one isn't quite right and seems that it may be in the beginnings of forming a blood ring, but I'm going to leave those two in a few days longer. So, five (5) of the Buff Orps Julie sent me had movement in them and good veining. The one from her Splash roo's pen is growing and moving, too! All six Ameraucanas from California were growing fine when I candled at the end of Day 5.
To summarize, out of 42 in the Hova, on Day 9, I have 39 left, with possibly 2 more that may be removed in a few days when I recandle. All others are going great so far.

I had already candled all the eggs in the Fridge-a-Bator that are due on the same day, my Blue Orps, Barred Rocks, and the extra Welsummer, which I guess I can now put in an empty spot in the Hova with it's siblings if I want. All those were growing well at the end of Day 5.

Also, added to the Fridge-a-Bator crew on Thursday, were 16 Buff Orpingtons from Jody (hinkjc) and one of Velvet's eggs that I was afraid to put in a pkg to mail because it seemed to have a small crack on the aircell end. I'm keeping an eye on that one to be sure it isn't going to seep. I'll candle those about April 17 and report then. Those, I hope weren't hurt by their extra day in the mail and their trip around the world, but we shall soon see. Thanks for allowing me to bore you again with the details of my chickie-bator dramas, LOL.

Sounds like things are going well. I'm on day 7 with my eggs from Frogtown. I have 17 of those marans in there. She sent 18 and one was broken. I also have 8 by my chickens: 6 bantam cochin X, 1 off white mystery egg (mystery because I'm not sure who laid it), and 1 EE egg that was too pretty to put in the carton to sell to the healthfood store. I can hardly wait to candle, but I don't know how much I'll be able to see in those dark brown eggs.

Nope, never bothered to candle my own marans eggs. They are just too dark. I guess if I ever have one explode in the bator, I'll have to get one of those super duper flashlights.

Last edited:
I was afraid to candle the Welsummers, too, Sara, but the slide projector is great. Now, later on, I doubt I could see anything, but at least I know 15 started developing well. May not bother to candle those again till Day 18 just to see if anything has expired along the way before locking it down for the 3 day IBW.

I use the sniff test more than anything else on my Marans and Welsummer eggs!!
smile.png

That is great!! I am on day 18 and day 16. I put all the eggs from one bator into a cardboard carton to see if it will help on the hatching. I can't wait to see your pics of the new babies.
love.gif

Cynthia I think we set eggs the same day. I put mine in on 4/3 in the am. I have some of Julie's (bamachicken) orps! I am so excited. I candled on night 6 and I think out of the 29 she sent that I have 15 that aren't growing but I left them in until the 2nd candling (whenever that is) so I, too, have been doing the sniffing test.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the babies!

Back
Top Bottom