9 day old Buff Orpington gasping for air- Help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JCSevmom, Aug 4, 2014.

1. JCSevmom

JCSevmom New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

9d old Buff Orpington gasping for air, has been doing it for the last 6 hours. She is barely eating and not eating, only defecated once that I saw in the same amount of time. Took her to the local Agway, where we bought her and they thought maybe some respiratory issue and sold us Durvet Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Are they on medicated feed? Medicated feed helps somewhat in preventing Cocci which is a very common issue with chicks. I would look up the symptoms of Cocci also. Duramycin should help if its respiratory.

3. JCSevmom

JCSevmom New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    Yes, she was on medicated feed. She passed away :(

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am so sorry!! Do you have other chicks that were with her? Was there any signs of blood in her poop? Did she show any signs of being "drunk"and unsteady on her feet?

5. JCSevmom

JCSevmom New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    No blood, just white "diarrhea" type droppings and not many. We separated her from the other 5 chicks and gave them the Durvet "just in case". They all seem well. I did not notice drunk, just the gasping that never stopped.

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Sounds like you've done everything right. Again I am so sorry you lost one. Sometimes we never know what happened.

7. JCSevmom

JCSevmom New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    Thank you <3 she was very sweet and will be missed. I appreciate your help.

8. jdryon

jdryon New Egg

Sep 17, 2013
    Pottsville, PA
    Aspergillosis. Check it out, lost one to it because it got picked on and beat up by its siblings. Gasping for air after drinking, drank a lot, rapid, someone labored breathing, stunted growth, puffed out, and somewhat lethargic. But it would food run normally and ate normally; normal stool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by