9 day old chick has broken wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsme1493, Apr 28, 2009.

1. itsme1493

itsme1493 Out Of The Brooder

can it be fixed???

2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm sorry I can't help, but poor baby. How did it happen? Is there a vet in the area who might have an answer? Hopefully this will bump you into the view of somebody who can help.

3. itsme1493

roo's fighting in the coop and in there pen and this is what happened. call every vet in town noone works on chicken but I can pay 20.00 to put them down. they run around chirping, dust bathing today, eat, drinking, and sleep. So why kill them. I do have a roo blind in one eye. whats a roo with a broke wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. itsme1493

[​IMG] can anyone help???

5. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    if it were me I'd just attempt to wrap it best I could near it's body and see what happens in a couple weeks. It's not a life threatening injury and I'm assuming the chick would do fine adapting if it didn't heal enough to fly since chickens don't do much of that anyway. Just my opinion.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I would get some of the thin width vet wrap (the kind that will stick to itself and not the chick) and fold the wing into a natural position against the body and then wrap on the vet wrap around the body covering the wing. It will be important to have the wing in a natural position because after it heals it may not be able to move.

I am a state and federally permitted wildlife rehabber, and vet wrap will work for wild birds with broken wings!

Best of luck with your baby!

7. itsme1493

well I was looking at him tonight and the bone at the top is completely severed. I dont think it can't be fixed. [​IMG]

8. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Would ambutation be possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by