9 days old, 35 degrees

MaryFrances

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Clarkesville, GA
I found a wild game hen at the office 9 days ago with newly hatched chicks. Brought her home, made a "nest" on the porch, old bathrobe and sheets, a box, more sheets and an old jacket on top. Since she's wild, does she know what she's doing having chicks so late? This is her first year with chicks. Do they need a light bulb tonight? I haven't cleaned out that bathrobe, got home way after dark and they are settled....it probably has poop in the bottom so it might be damp.. Can I leave them be or should I help keep them warm?

They will be fine if the mama hen is being a good mama, letting them stay under her when they want.

I'm a bit worried that the old bathrobe is full of poop..I've worked long hours and haven't cleaned it since Sunday. Should i wake them up and clean it? Thank you so much for your answer! She is a very good mama, takes good care of them, and scolds me whenever I get too close!

the porch is screened in; i saw a cat prowling around a week ago, caused some excitement, but they are fine. haven't seen the cat since. i am in the middle of a small rural town and haven't had trouble. right next to an ancient cemetery...maybe that's the trick! am putting a light near them tonight, 23 days old and it will be around 26 degrees. they're nestled in a little "tent" with mama, well protected from wind, layers of old sheets, etc. very low tech.

Quite often low tech is the better tech
big_smile.png
CONGRATS!

Back
Top Bottom