9 for 50 bucks. Good deal?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Moochie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Today mom got some roosters and drakes from this nice lady and she said they would make good meat birds. 6 of her birds and 3 of ours, 1 rooster and 2 drakes. I'm not a fan of duck meat but my mother is. Well this slaughter house out in Lancaster charges $14 per chicken, and $15 per duck. We think that's a bit too much.... So a neighbor down the street says she'll do all 9 of them for $50.
    Is that a good deal? And they're all full grown except for one 4 month old drake.

2. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I process for $2.50 per chicken and $6 per duck. The local USDA approved processing plant nearby charges $0.85 per pound carcass weigh for whole chicken, and $0.10 per pound more for quartering. The birds are wrapped.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    If you aren't willing to do it, there's no one else around who will and your only other option is the $14/$15 fees, then, yeah, that's a good deal for you. Sort of depends on your situation and what you are willing to do/how far you'll travel/etc.

4. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I agree, either is a bit high, but I would go for the 9 for 50. I know the place I take mine only charges 2.25, but that's for broilers. They charge like 3 or 3.50 for DP birds or old hens, and I have no idea what for ducks (if they even do ducks). $15 is highway robbery.

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Wow those prices are el cheapo!
    Why would the guy at the slaughterhouse be charging 14/15 dollars? :O

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The 9 for $50 is a lot cheaper than $15 per bird. I process my own, so $50 seem like way too much to me. But if you don't process your own, you are kinda limited in your options.

[[[[......Why would the guy at the slaughterhouse be charging 14/15 dollars?....]]]]]]

My best guess is that you would be disrupting their assembly line. They would have to specially mark out which birds were yours, and keep track of them throughout the entire process. Then they would have to be set separately in the fridge or freezer to make sure you got your own birds back.

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

A farmer out by me charges $1.75 per chicken. I would ask other BYC members that live in your area if they know of any.

8. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:Possibly also for the time to sanitize the assembly line between batches as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by