9 hens and 2 roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by schoenherr, Aug 10, 2013.

1. schoenherr

schoenherr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    Hi,

I have 9 hens and 2 roosters. I have one dominant rooster and then a less dominant one. The less dominant one does not breed them. He just pulls their feathers or bites their wings and hangs on. None of the hens seems to like the less dominant one. They do like the more dominant one. Should I keep both roosters? They are only 6 months old so far.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they were mine, assuming that the dominant rooster is not human aggressive, I would get rid of the less dominant. Eventually he has the potential to injure the hens in his hurried attempts to mate. One rooster to 9 hens is enough for any flock.

3. schoenherr

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    thank you for reply. That is what we were thinking. We do not like him as well either. He is a beautiful Silver Laced Wynndotte, but he does not have a good disposition. The other rooster is a White Crested Black Polish which has great a funny and seems to take care of his hens. They seem to like him also.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You don't like him, your hens don't like him.....why keep him?

5. schoenherr

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    I am laughing right now. Yes you are wise and we are sad only because we raised him since he was a few days old. We talked to someone who may take and trade us for a hen.

6. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Good luck, always better to trade than throw away.
    Two things to remember:
    1, any bad traits will be passed down to chicks
    2, mean tastes good

Had to dispose of a couple boys who wouldn't line up with the hens or the rules of the coop.
    No one wanted them, and I couldn't blame them for that.
    I did feel sad as I had raised them, still I did what needed to be done, boy oh boy were they yummy.
    The rest of the flock was oh so much happier too.

7. schoenherr

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    I am really thankful for your advise. We just started raising chickens this year. It is funny how we love them so. We talk to them and hold them. You would think we had cats or dogs. The only difference is they do not give you breakfast.

8. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Unless you're in Korea or some remote parts of China

I completely understand the feelings, all of our little egg machines became full on pets long ago.
    I have to remind myself that they are a long way from house domestication and full feathered pets.
    Not that they cant come in the house, they just cant stay very long.

Its always rough when you have to remove one, but its always better for everyone in the end.

9. schoenherr

Apr 4, 2013
    Paynesville, Minnesota
    Thank you for your wise words. It is just reinforcement on what we know we must do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by