9 hens and only getting 2 eggs a day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ruby Mia, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    My hens have all started to stop laying! A couple of months ago they had lice and I thought that was the problem with them, but they're all lice free now and still no increase in eggs. we are even putting vitamin boost in their water which is supposed to help with everything, but still no change! Three of the hens are rescue ones so I'm not sure how old they are, but we have had them about a year and a half. I haven't seen any eggs from two of them for a long time so I guess they have just stopped now? One of them has had a swollen, bald bum for a long time now, but I cant figure out what's wrong with her. The rest of them are about 2-3 years old. Any ideas why they have stopped?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thank you soo much! I have wrote a few posts about this hen and no one knew what it was! This sounds like exactey what she has, I will start treating it straight away!

4. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Keep us updated....

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    i have given her a soak in warm water and applied Daktarin cream to the swollen area. I will apply this twice daily and hopefully it should clear up soon! [​IMG]

6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Great to hear and also great that this hen has a loving chicken mama that will go the extra mile to take care of her...poor little thing! As we human gals know a problem "down there" is not exactly a fun thing to go through, and with vent gleet I imagine she's saying "Yeee-OUCH!!" Kudos to you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by