9 month old Ameraucana dead suddenly.....,

OrpingtonFairy

Songster
5 Years
Aug 24, 2015
Hamden, CT
I'm so heart broken! My beautiful white Ameraucana died this morning unexpectedly. She was acting normal yesterday and last night. Even laid an egg yesterday. She never skipped a beat with her laying. Out of all my various birds, she's the one who laid 6-7 eggs a week even throughout winter. She was my kids favorite bird and they even named her cheekie.
1f641.png
Has anyone have had this happen to their hen before? Is this what happens more to Ameraucanas than sny other hen?

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your ameracauna :(

I have lost about 4 EE/ameracaunas the past year, but that was due to a bad batch from a hatchery. The ones that made it are fine. I also have one that is about 6-8 years old and is perfectly healthy. From my experience- I don't think this is related to the breed.

After having chickens for ten years, I've learned sometimes they just die. They ( chickens) are prey animals - they hide their illnesses very well and often we don't see it until it's too late.

We have had chickens that don't even make it to a year to a handful that reached ten.

Again, sometimes this just happens :(

Last edited:
I don't know why she died (I am a huge chicken newbie) however I wanted to offer condolences. I am really sorry you lost her. I hope the kids do okay - losing a loved animal is tough :(:hugs

Back
Top Bottom