1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 month old Ameraucana dead suddenly.....,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrpingtonFairy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. OrpingtonFairy

OrpingtonFairy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Hamden, CT
    I'm so heart broken! My beautiful white Ameraucana died this morning unexpectedly. She was acting normal yesterday and last night. Even laid an egg yesterday. She never skipped a beat with her laying. Out of all my various birds, she's the one who laid 6-7 eggs a week even throughout winter. She was my kids favorite bird and they even named her cheekie. [​IMG]Has anyone have had this happen to their hen before? Is this what happens more to Ameraucanas than sny other hen?

2. birdashes

birdashes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    New England
    Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your ameracauna :(

I have lost about 4 EE/ameracaunas the past year, but that was due to a bad batch from a hatchery. The ones that made it are fine. I also have one that is about 6-8 years old and is perfectly healthy. From my experience- I don't think this is related to the breed.

After having chickens for ten years, I've learned sometimes they just die. They ( chickens) are prey animals - they hide their illnesses very well and often we don't see it until it's too late.

We have had chickens that don't even make it to a year to a handful that reached ten.

Again, sometimes this just happens :(

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. AannerudRanch

AannerudRanch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    I don't know why she died (I am a huge chicken newbie) however I wanted to offer condolences. I am really sorry you lost her. I hope the kids do okay - losing a loved animal is tough :(:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by