9-month-old BO listless - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HEChicken, May 23, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I was hoping I'd never have to post in this forum but....this morning one of my two BO's came out of the coop rather listlessly. She has been standing around not showing much interest in what is going on. She wandered slowly to the food bowl but only pecked disinterestedly at a couple of pieces before walking slowly to the water bowl and taking 2-3 sips of water. Since then she has just stood around. Thinking she might be egg-bound, I ran her a warm bath and with a gloved finger felt her vent. I can feel an egg that is a full index finger length inside her. Her vent is pulsing more than usual. She got very stressed out while in the bath and panted non-stop so I got her out of there and put her back in her familiar environment where she resumed just standing around. After researching egg-bound a little more, I don't think that's it, due to the egg being so far inside her, but don't know what else it could be. Any ideas?

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Sounds like it could be parasites. Have you wormed them?

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Would parasites affect only one hen out of 10?

4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Sorry, I did not make it back to this post for a while.

Has this issue resolved?

I could have been that only one hen ate something from the yard which could have parasites and leave the rest of the flock unaffected. Earthworms are notorious for carrying parasites and bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by