9 month old BR hens

BarredRockChic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Renton, Washington
I have 3 9 month old Barred Rock hens that have been laying consistently for the last several months, but noticed last week that only one is laying. They all appear healthy, they drink and eat regularly and all the scat looks normal. Should I be concerned or does this sound normal that because temperatures have dropped recently in WA state that only one would be laying?

I have 3 9 month old Barred Rock hens that have been laying consistently for the last several months, but noticed last week that only one is laying. They all appear healthy, they drink and eat regularly and all the scat looks normal. Should I be concerned or does this sound normal that because temperatures have dropped recently in WA state that only one would be laying?

Yes it is normal for hens to stop laying for a period of time in winter, with shorter daylight. It may be just for a week or for several weeks. they'll restart when they feel like it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Checked on the girls this morning and one of them is dropping feathers especially on her face and neck. She also had a case of runny poo. I'm researching what could cause this, but think she may be going through her first molt! If so, the other two girls are likely not too far behind her.

We had the same situation.. Started molting just as the daylight was getting pretty short. All 5 birds shut down completely.

I've just added light and their molts are almost done with, so I'm expecting them to ramp up again here shortly. They've started squatting for me again, and I've even heard the egg song. No eggs yet, but it seems they're getting back into the swing of thigns.

Checked on my girls this morning because I had not heard them rummaging in the chicken yard. Found them all lined up on the bottom rung of the coop. My runt Maeve is now losing feathers around her neck and rear and Morrigan is starting to drop feathers too. Bodica is still fully feathered but suspect she will start to drop her feathers soon! I'm going to make some molt muffins to add more protein into their diet as they have completely stopped laying eggs for the last month. Poor little dears!

Back
Top Bottom