9 month old Buff eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kycklingmamma, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a buff orpington, about 9 months old, that the last two days have acted a little off. She has been sitting in the coop while the other ones are out pecking, she rather sleep on the ground then perch...so I did some investigating and found her bottom very swollen, not under her vent but above it, almost protruding. Is she eggbound?
    It is huge compared to the bottom vent, if that makes sense, very hard, almost boney.
    I can't see an egg in there, so I don't know what to do.
    I did give her a sitz bath this evening and she managed to relax and look quite comfortable..she even ate some oatmeal and pork roast out of my hand, before this she wouldn't eat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Petra

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Keep up the baths, keep her isolated, and resting, keep her in a darkened place, keep her fed and hydrated. Try some hemorrhoid ointment after the baths to help decrease any swelling. It does sound like an egg is stuck in there, even though you can't reach it. If you're lucky she will relax enough and it will pass.

And good luck; you may not get a good outcome no matter what you do. Let us know.

There might be some more ideas in the eggbound threads in the FAQ section.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by