9 month old cayuga duck not doing good. need help!

cayugaquakers

Hatching
Mar 28, 2015
I am new to ducks and I have 2 cayuga ducks that are 9 months old. They are currently l laying. One of my ducks is having trouble walking. When she walks her legs stretch out behinds her and shake. Her wings seem to be held tight to her body and rarely flaps them anymore. Her eating also seems to be more difficult. She is becoming thin. She used quack frequently but now she no longer quacks. The vet is not sure what's wrong and put her on steroids. I really would like to find out what's wrong and determine if I should keep waiting or put her down. :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles. :( I have no experience with ducks, but you might be able to Google the symptoms.

Here is a list of duck maladies... See if you can find one that matches.

http://www.duckhealth.com/duckhlth.html

Hope that helps.
hugs.gif

MrsB

Last edited:
Thanks. I have googled the symptoms but nothing seems to fit. I'm stumped. I just hate to see her suffer but also don't want to put her down prematurely.

You might consider posting in the duck forum. It's very possible someone over there can help you.

Also, if it came on very suddenly, you might want to check around your yard for any possible toxins or lead paint or herbicides/pesticides that she may have gotten into.

Since the other duck seems to be fine, it may be a vitamin deficiency. Riboflavin/B12 vitamins in her water for a few days may help, too.

It could also be worms. It could also (much less likely) be a tumor pressing against her spine, causing loss of control. Slim chances of that, though. She's way too young.

I'm just digging through my limited experience to come up with anything I've heard that can manifest these symptoms in chickens. I hope you are able to discover the source of the upset. :(

MrsB

She may have egg yolk peritonitis - a systemic infection. Some vets think it's a death sentence, but others successfully treat it with Baytril. Tube feeding may also be necessary at this point.

I would tell the vet you think it could be EYP.

Also, if it's hardware disease, that's another difficult one with similar symptoms. A blood test or x-ray may confirm it. Again, some vets give up, some prescribe chelating supplements, sometimes there is surgery to remove metal found with x-ray.

Please post (if you already have, I apologize) over on the duck forum for more duck folks' eyes to see.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I would like to note that Baytril is one of those drugs that they say renders a bird "useless" for utilitarian purposes. I believe it is available via prescription from a vet, or you might get lucky if a neighbor has some and will share with you.

If she is a pet, by all means, use this medication if you wish to treat what she has. If you eat her eggs, you'll have to discard them.

At least, that's how it is in chickens. :)

I hope your girl makes a full recovery!

MrsB

Did the vet check her poop for worms, coccidia, bacteria and yeast. Check you invoice for charges that say "fecal float", "gram stain", "swab" or "smear".

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom