9 month old hen has a real 'comb-over'

Dancingwnature

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
NW Washington state, USA
Hi! Siansa's a Sapphire Gem who's just started laying a few weeks ago. Her comb has flopped over. She is eating, dust bathing & does this cute
dance pose when she wants a mealworm. (That's what the bottom picture says in Irish.) Her feathers are shiny and clean. Is the floppy comb something common for her breed, or should I consult a veterinarian?
Thanks!!!

IMG_20201214_154828773.jpg

IMG_20201214_154641562-01-01.jpeg

Yep, that's just a big floppy comb. She's just fine! Some combs get even bigger than that.
Oh, thank you so much! She had some spots on her comb where my grumpy gal who's moulting, pecked her. I got some hen ointment to soothe her comb. The spots healed quickly. Being fairly new to having feather babies, I was concerned that I hadn't done enough. Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday season!

Have you heard about the new bird flu heading south there? My family back home said it's moved south from Finland in migrating wild birds, and that they've been told to keep their chickens indoors if they don't have a protected covered run outdoors.

Yes, we are in the Republic but it's coming here too they say, which is worrying. Luckily we have a covered run ready if we need it.
Love the avatar by the way!

Thanks, my avatar is my Bandia Sicín. I've got family out near Clifden with a small farm. They're my da's people. They're trying to build a cover for the chickens and ducks. I've always loved visiting them. There's an old grass roofed building cut into a hillside where they store dried hay & turf. I grew up in a pretty rough area in W. Belfast, and used to daydream about living in the country on a farm!
Your Flock Slave is brilliant! What birds do you have?

Thanks, my avatar is my Bandia Sicín. I've got family out near Clifden with a small farm. They're my da's people. They're trying to build a cover for the chickens and ducks. I've always loved visiting them. There's an old grass roofed building cut into a hillside where they store dried hay & turf. I grew up in a pretty rough area in W. Belfast, and used to daydream about living in the country on a farm!
Your Flock Slave is brilliant! What birds do you have?

Haha yep I'm their slave.

Currently I've Legbar, Polish, Black link, Amberlink, Silkie, Guinea Fowl, and Seramas, I'm hoping to hatch ducks and bantams in the spring.
What about you?

I live in the country here and love it, wow your family's home sounds lovely.
Some of Belfast can be very rough I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom