9 month old hen lethargic with full crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa-Lu, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    Yall may remember my laying issues with my hens or the lack of I should say. I changed their food a couple weeks ago and one of them just started laying beautiful solid eggs and has done so for the last 3 days. Well today, she is acting totally off, lethargic, just stands around with her head tucked in like she does on the perch, she doesnt move or startle when we come near her and just let's us pick her up and doesnt seem to care. She won't take her favorite treat from my hand, black oil sunflower seeds. She is drinking water. I've since felt her crop and it feels very full. Ive been rubbing it gently and she seems to like that but it doesnt seem to help. What do I do, and what could be wrong with her?? Please help, she is my favorite and has such personality, that's why it's so odd to see her this way.

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When you feel her crop, would you say it's soft and spongy or hard and lumpy? What does her poop look like?

Have the chickens been free ranging? Is there a lot of tough-stem grass they've been eating? Do they have access to grit?

3. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    Her crop has actually gone down and isnt nearly as big but is still kind of lumpy I would call it.

Yes they free range and they have access to grit.

She just pooped and its milky yellow water. What does that mean??

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It could be she has impacted crop. The water drinking is a symptom. Give her a teaspoon of mineral or coconut oil and massage gently as you've been doing. Focus on the lump as you would a sore muscle, and try to aim it slightly upward toward the middle of her crop where the drain is. See if you can get the mass to completely empty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: