9 month old hens, is it too young to hatch their eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Dec 15, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Hi, I have an 11 hen flock that is laying large to extra large eggs that are 8 to 9 months old that have been laying since August 2nd, my question is are their eggs good enough to use for hatching new chicks? I all of a sudden have more customers than eggs and want to supply the demand. Are they mature enough to produce a good enough quality egg to hatch? [​IMG]

2. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Mine are also 9 months and I have had an excellent hatch rate and nice looking chicks- Just make sure your rooster is doing his job... I dont see anything wrong with it. What breed are they?

3. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Do they just naturally have large eggs if they don't they could be double eggers. If you hatch those you have to help the chicks get out or they will both die. You aren't usually suppose to help chicks but the shell is to thick for the chicks to get out. Go one Youtube and type in twin chicks hatching it should show up. Those hens aren't to young those hens are just right, If they are broody I will let them hatch'em on their own and I the aren't hatch them yourself especially if they are double eggers.

Hope this helps!![​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah Sure, they are ready, and you can with good success, go for it.

AL

5. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Ohhh, the roo is doing his job, every egg I crack into the pan has a bullseye! The eggs are not double yokers, I haven't had one of those since September. The Roo is a RIR and the hens are 2 barred rocks, 3 RIR's, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 white rock, 2 australorps, and 2 New Hampshire red, all dual purpose and good layers. [​IMG] [​IMG] What do you think?
    BTW, one of the reasons I'm asking is because I'm a bit excited about having more orders than eggs and that I just purchased an incubator that arrived last Friday and is set up to go, temp and humidity are holding steady! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ooohh, so you're wanting permission to use your new toy [​IMG] You came to the right place, this board should be re-named Enablers-R-Us!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They are fine to hatch. I find I get most of my double yolkers during the first few months that they are laying. Oh and please do not try to hatch a double yolker. It never turns out well for the chicks.

8. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Quote:They can come out fine but you have to help them hatch.[​IMG]

9. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Ok, all of you enablers have convinced me to incubate my first batch, I didn't want to till spring and my wife agrees but since you pressured me to do it I will give it a try. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by