9 month old hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by denverchickenma, Nov 21, 2015.

1. denverchickenma

denverchickenma New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    We have 4 sweet ladies who came to us 3 months ago. Before they left their previous home, they had just started laying. They have a spacious coop and plenty of opportunities to range in the backyard throughout the day. We have rope lights in their coop on a timer that is set to give them light for 15 hours a day and we still have had no signs of eggs from any of them. We have scoured the back yard to make sure they aren't laying eggs in an obscure place, but haven't come across any. After reading another thread, I am going to try putting some fake eggs in their nesting boxes to see if that will encourage them. Any other ideas to kick start egg laying? Thanks!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

Please post a picture of your hens. A picture that is fairly close and shows a good profile if possible.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd confine them to the coop for a week or so.

What are you feeding?

4. denverchickenma

denverchickenma New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    We have tried confining them to the coop/run for a little over 2 weeks. I let them out today because it was such a beautiful day and they were begging me for a little time out! But how long do you think we should continue to confine them? We are feeding them Egg Layer.

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Did you also check for egg eaters? Are the rope lighting sufficient light? Lice/mites?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. denverchickenma

denverchickenma New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    No egg eaters...I think the rope lights are enough. It is pretty light in there at night. We have the walls painted white and the light reflects well off the walls. No lice or mites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by