9 month old pullet - prolapsed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinapmann, Jan 4, 2010.

1. tinapmann

tinapmann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    I went out this a.m. and noticed that my light brahma had plucked away alot of feathers near her butt. On closer exam I noticed something (not poop) seems to be partially hanging out. The pullet seems fine otherwise but its butt is messy...not clean. I don't know what to do. There is no blood, but my husband said it almost looks like her insides are hanging out (if that is possible).....Help! Suggestions and feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How is your girl doing? Think it's a prolapsed vent? Hope she recovers!

4. tinapmann

Jun 1, 2009
    Yes, it is a prolapse. Came home from work yesterday and Peep was quiet and staying away from the other pullets but not lethargic, just quiet. So I made up a nice little house in our large doug crate, cleaned her butt with warm water, lathered her up with antibiotic cream, then preparation H and some orajel (to numb the area). With gloves on eased everything back inside. Put her in the crate (the crate is in a warm, dark area), but then it came out again, so repeated everything. This time it didn't seem like it was going to come out. Hoping by keeping her in a dark location that she will stop laying for awhile to give her a break. I've been getting some really big eggs and now I think it might have been her laying them. I haven't checked on her this a.m. but will check on her before I go to work. I feel bad that she is not out with the other birds esp. since she and her "sister" the other light brahma are always together, but her health is most important. Wil keep everyone informed on how she is doing.

5. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    [​IMG]

I hope everything goes well!

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't know if you read the whole thread or not, but here is the update on what happened with that hen...

update on this hen
    Her vent would not stay in. I tried for several days, and cleaned it and put honey on it. I never did use prep H. Finally I decided to put her back in with the rest of the girls, until she got picked on, or weak, or something, because, other than the prolapse, she was fine, and she wanted out of the hospital cage. So now a little over 2 weeks since the initial discovery of the prolapse, and after hen has been placed back in general population, and I am no longer messing with her vent, her prolapse has gone back in, and she is just fine. Im so glad I didnt kill her. She really did seem fine, so thats why we never could go through with it. She acted so unlike a sick bird.
    She also continued to lay eggs during this whole ordeal. I never could get her to stop doing that.

If it won't stay in, maybe it's best to just let her be... [​IMG]

7. tinapmann

Jun 1, 2009
    This is day 2. Got up this a.m., her prolapse was back, so cleaned did the prep h, orajel and cream antibiotics. We are keeping her in our basement/cellar where it is warm, dark and she is in a cage by herself. Came home from work at 4:00 and had to take care of her again same routine. Peep is just loving all of this attention, I am sure. I am not ready to put her out in the coop with the other 10 girls. I think it would be better for her to stop laying to give it a rest. Would love to hear from others and to hear encouraging stories!

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My prolapsed hen had gotten torn up by the others. I knew that she had surrounding damage, but I did not realize she had vent damage. It was not until the swelling completely went away that I saw she was torn from the bottom of her tail down trough the sphincter and into the vent. We medication dusted the open flesh wounds-we did not know about the torn vent, because the prolapse had gone back in by then- and kept her in a box with a lid on it for a week. I opened it up for light, water, and feed for only about six hours a day. I figured being still and sleep would be the best medicine. I am guessing now that she is back with the flock and she is laying eggs That she won't have another prolapse because she kinda had an episiotomy in a way. More room to pass the egg. No more blood on eggs now either.
    Good luck with her. Every day is another adventure isn't it?

9. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i had a wyndotte do this once. Since my DH is a cattle farmer...he suggested to put a little sugar on it... ( they do that to prolapsed cows)... magically the sugar will make the prolapse shrink and go back in... worked on the hen...she recovered nicely within mere seconds. Hope this info helps.

10. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    I had a hen with a prolapse and eggbound. Once we got the egg out ( it cracked as soon as I started feeling around), we cleaned up the area and used sugar to treat the prolapse. Worked like a charm. I never kept her segregated, just cleaned her up and put her back with the flock. She was just fine hours later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by