9 month old silkie hen with bloody bum

silkienewbie93

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
I have a 9 month old silkie hen who had blood on the feathers under her vent when I checked her this morning. It looks like her feathers were bloody and there were a few clumps of poop stuck to them as well. When I cleaned her up I checked her vent and it looked fine not prolapsed and I didn’t see any obvious peck marks from my other two silkie hens. I gave them medicated chick feed until they were about 20 weeks old so I don’t think it’s coccidiosis but I’m not sure. She seems to be full of energy still but it was quite a bit of blood so I’m concerned. Any thoughts what it could be?

Update: I saw her poop while I was holding her and it looked normal not bloody

Last edited:
Medicated chick feed doesn't have enough Amprolium to deal with Coccidiosis.

I would treat them just in case.
Okay thanks I will treat them. I’m still not 100% sure that’s what it was because it was mostly blood with a couple solid pieces of poop, not diarrhea. Is there anything else it could be that I should look out for as well?

Okay thanks I will treat them. I’m still not 100% sure that’s what it was because it was mostly blood with a couple solid pieces of poop, not diarrhea. Is there anything else it could be that I should look out for as well?
I would treat for Coccidiosis before jumping to something else? If corid doesn't help, then we'll try to figure out what else could he causing the blood.

Just a quick update incase anyone else has the same issue. I did treat my chickens for coccidiosis but it seemed to be a different problem. My silkie seemed to be doing fine but she ended up dying around 2 weeks after I noticed the blood. My best guess is that an egg broke inside her maybe? Luckily my other two silkies are completely healthy.

Back
Top Bottom