9 month old, still no eggs???

tobit

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2014
UK
Hi guys i hatched this SLW bantam last spring (end of april) she still hasnt started laying, her comb & wattles are as red as the roosters' (who is her hatch mate), shes now 9 months and the days are getting longer, when will she still hasn't started laying??

Nice looking gal you've got there! She's getting close by the look of her - but there really is no way to say just when she will actually lay. There is some disadvantage to them "coming of age" during the time of year that is not most friendly to production. Just as with human girls, they all mature in their own time. I see you mentioned you hatched her yourself - do you know what sort of lines she comes from? That can play heavily into whether they mature quickly like hatchery stock where production is the primary focus or more slowly as with lines where a well developed bird is the primary focus.

Nice looking gal you've got there! She's getting close by the look of her - but there really is no way to say just when she will actually lay. There is some disadvantage to them "coming of age" during the time of year that is not most friendly to production. Just as with human girls, they all mature in their own time. I see you mentioned you hatched her yourself - do you know what sort of lines she comes from? That can play heavily into whether they mature quickly like hatchery stock where production is the primary focus or more slowly as with lines where a well developed bird is the primary focus.

thank you! hmm i guess what you're saying is true, I just cant wait!!
lol.png
I'm not sure, i ordered fertile eggs from a farm on the opposite side of england, i was surprised she is as good quality as she is!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom