9 months later first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pupsnpullets, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    My youngest pullet hatched at the end of March 08 and has finally, finally, produced her first egg. It has taken more than 9 months, several threats, new nest box bedding and I'd almost got to the point of adding an 'electric perch warmer' and meditational music! [​IMG] It is a decent sized egg, though.

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG] congrats

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Thank you. She's going have to lay a lot of eggs to make up for the 9 months of care and feeding!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    What, no picture??

I had two EEs that didn't start to lay until well into their 8th month, BUT - they both laid Jumbo sized eggs their first laying season!

One of them just began to lay last week after her molt, and every egg has been over 3 ounces! Sheesh! So, I figured the wait was worth it for those honkin' eggs. [​IMG]

5. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    I have 4 hens, and usually get about 3 eggs a day. Today, we got one very small egg for the first time. They were born just about 9 months ago - do you think that one of my hens just now started laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by