9 New Surprises!!!! ***10 New!! New count!!***

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Brahma Mamma, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I was on the front porch drinking a nice cold mocha and watching our house flock peck through the compost pile that never gets big at all because they eat it all, and LO AND BEHOLD there was our hen Sybil (because she has many many personalities) coming out of the woods line with 9, yes that's NINE, brand spankin' new chicks! Looks like they are all Brahmas, so she must have stolen all the Brahma's eggs about 3 weeks ago. This explains a period of about 3 days when we got about 2 eggs from 13 hens. By the way, anyone know what kind of chicken Sybil is?

These little guys are so stinkin' cute, it's ridiculous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW PHOTOS!! 10 CHICKS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Congratulations!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, that is so sweet! Thanks for sharing the pics.....She is lovely.....beautiful tail and I've looked at my book (just a catalog from Meyers), and I have no idea what she could be.....

4. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    And here is the proud father JFK!!

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how this chicken got eggs out of the coop (that has a step down) to an undisclosed secret hatching location???

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

If she laid an egg in the hiding spot, the other hens probably just donated eggs to her nest as well - I've seen them do it. I have one silkie that lays out in the run sometimes - and well she wanted to go broody so was sitting on her 2 eggs - I went to move her when the first storm was coming and she had 8 eggs in 3 days and some were other large hen eggs - so I know they weren't all hers. - the other big eggs came from neighbor's hens who come down here and visit- too funny. [​IMG]

Sybil looks like either a silver pheonix hen or she REALLY looks like a leghorn hen to me - not sure on color though she looks like the brown leghorn hens I used to have, but they were golden where she looks silver.

6. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:That makes sense! It was just shocking to see her appear out of nowhere with 9 chicks! Some of the original roosters we got from that original flock looked like phoenix roosters, so she could be at least part phoenix. We got a rag tag group of roosters and hens from a farm that was overrun with chickens. Two of the other hens from that flock also hatched 1 chick for one and 4 for the other. A brown leghorn mixed with a silver phoenix? We had a white leghorn hen that was killed by a hawk (she fought like a tiger) that was also from the rag tag group.

We had put golf balls originally in the egg boxes and ONE DAY one of the golf balls from the bottom box was in the top box....And the chicken saga continues....

I LOVE chickens!

7. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    More pictures!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it!!

Blessings-
    Em

9. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    So, we had a violent thunderstorm last night and I didn't see Sybil and her chicks for several hours this morning. We have enough chickens here - our free ranging house chickens plus the 400 layers in the field - for long enough to attract permanent predators. I decided to round up Sybil and her chicks and put her in our "hospital" chicken tractor that is just behind the house for injured birds. I really would have loved to have her raise them free range, but with 10 chicks, I just couldn't see how that could happen successfully. She was not bringing them into the coop and probably wouldn't for weeks to come. It took our other chicken with 4 chicks about a month to get back into the coop. Those little popcorn chicks are too small for a big bird coop anyway. I hope I did the right thing. I will have integrate them back into the flock later, according to what I've read here. What we did was catch Sybil first (with a fisherman net) and then hunted out the chicks. We got 8 of them and had to wait for the last 2 to peep before finding them too! So, if you do this, watch where you step and when in doubt wait for the cheep. We got some coffee and just sat out by the garden (which was layered in cardboard - scary to step on with 2 day old chicks hiding) and waited for the peeps.

They all seem to be comfortable in their new home. It was already partially tarped and we finished the job all around so that the little ones wouldn't try to go through the holes. They are ALMOST small enough to make it!

[​IMG]

JFK Proud Father again (we love him)

[​IMG]
    Their new home!

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I keep counting this, an i crazy or do i see 11 chicks [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by