1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 out of 10 eggs developing!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gemleaf, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Gemleaf

Gemleaf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Guys, I'm so excited! I'm on day 7 of incubation under my broody hen Butterscotch and I just candled for the first time. 9 of my ten eggs are developing and I even got to see one of the chicks kick her legs inside the shell. The tenth egg was unfertilized. Butterscotch is a great mommy so far and I can't wait to meet my grandchickies. My only concern is that unless I make her, my hen will not get off the nest to eat, drink, or poop. I make her get off every couple of days to roam the yard for a couple of minutes. Is this safe for the eggs and at what point should I no longer move her?

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on your developing eggs :clap

Are you sure she is not getting off when your not there? I had this happen but she was getting off when I wasn't looking. In the end I stopped worrying and let nature take its course.

Here's a good article on broodies ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

Good luck :fl

3. Gemleaf

Gemleaf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I figure that if she was getting off the nest I'd see poop in the hutch. It's always clean and the food and water level never decreases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by