9 out of 12 aint bad!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilfarm2659, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mylilfarm2659

mylilfarm2659 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I'm so excited! A week ago I put my very first set of eggs in my new incubator and when I candled them last night I found that 9 out of 12 are alive and growing! What a wonder that God made it so we can watch such an amazing thing! Does anyone know a trick to knowing how to sex the chicks?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Not so bad at all!

I'm not doing as well at 7\12, but this is just a small test hatch for me [​IMG]

What breeds will you be hatching? Some are harder to sex than other [​IMG]
    Good luck, happy hatching!

3. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    I'm not even sure of breed lol! I know I have some rhode island reds and another reddish hen. I have green eggs, white eggs and brown eggs and that is about all I know. Not sure how to figure out what breeds they are. I'm finding this whole process a lot more detailed than what I thought it would be and each person tells me different things! Hard to know whose advise to follow...

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It sounds like you've got a Heinz 57, or good 'ol barnyard mix [​IMG] That's the very first thing I hatched in my incubator!

Everyone seems to do things a little differently. But, if it works, it works. And what works for me, may not work for you. For example, our breeds are vastly different. It sounds like you've got a good mix of production type breeds, I raise an ornamental breed. Your birds are likely fast growers, mine are slow. You'll likely be looking for combs and wattles that are larger or redder (for cockerels), saddle (at the base of the tail) and hackle (neck) feathers that are long and stringy (hens will be short and round), redder patches on wings and back (girls tend to show red in the breast and head area) and obvious signs such as crowing or squatting.
    Google chicken pictures and look at the differences between juvenile and adult birds of different breeds, those things I mentioned above will become a little more familiar to you and they'll stick out like a sore thumb when you start studying your chicks. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to give me hints and direction. I know I've done a lot wrong this time, but we will see what happens. For instance...I washed my eggs, my humidity has been up and down a lot and I marked my eggs with sharpie instead of pencil not realizing just how porous they are. I'm learning as I go and know I'll get it down eventually.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, alot of people float their eggs in water if they're not sure if they're going to hatch. And, I mark all of my eggs with a sharpie because pencil has a tendency to rub off.
    All you can do is learn from your mistakes, it'll make you a better momma hen [​IMG]

7. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    Aww, thanks! That does make me feel better. Maybe mine will turn out okay after all!

8. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    Aww, thanks! That does make me feel better. Maybe mine will turn out okay after all!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    RIR can be feather sexed at hatch. do a thread search on the topic.

10. 5 Acre Rooster

5 Acre Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    North Missouri
    I have always used sharpie and haven't any issues. Even some 100% hatches from shipped eggs so I don't think personally it does any damage.

And there is another way you can sex RIR message me if you want to know because it generally starts an argument with others in open forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by